Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

motd and CDE 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 23, 2000
US
Hi,
We have AIX 4.3.2 installed on RS/6000. I edited the /etc/motd file to display a message. But it only works from a command line login. How do I get it to display the same message at the CDE login console?
Thanks in advance.
barefootdn

You could put in your .dtprofile or your .profile -

aixterm -e cat /etc/motd; read

That should open up a window and cat out the motd. The read should wait for an enter key. You can add appropriate parameters to aixterm to change the bg and fg colors, fonts, title, etc.

If you put it in your .profile be sure to do a check to make sure you are not running on a dialed in or telnetted in window.

good luck.

I tried to edit the .dtprofile and .profile but the result was unsuccessful. The CDE does not display a warning message which I edit in /etc/motd.
Do you have any other suggestion?
Thanks.
barefootdn

The login screen for CDE is controlled by the Xresources file. The trick is to find the one that your system uses. First determine the $LANG your system is using; C, en_US, En_US, etc. Find that with echo $LANG. Then the most likely location of the Xresources file you need to edit is in /etc/dt/config/"$LANG". You may also find copies of Xresources in /etc/dt/config, or /usr/dt/config, or /usr/dt/config/$LANG. But if there is one in /etc/dt/config/$LANG, then that's the one your system should be using. vi the Xresources file and locate the dtlogin*greeting line. That is the line being displayed at your login screen. Your Xresources file may have more than one of these dtlogin*greeting lines, use the one that is NOT commented out. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back