Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Most Stable Settings for Site to Site VPN? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

beholder95

Technical User
Sep 4, 2003
US
I've got a Pro2040 in my HQ and a TZ170 in my Branch office, I haev 1 VOIP phone in this office that connects back to the PBX in the HQ via this VPN. The VPN goes through phases of bouncing a few times per day, which prompts me to go in and change the settings for the VPN, say from Main to IKEv2, or group 1 to 3, or something small.
This usually fixes the issue for a while, until the problem starts again in a few months and i'll change the settings again.

The offiecs are about 30 miles apart geographically and are with the same ISP provider (cox). Does anyone know the most stable setings for a site to site VPN?

Thank You,
Andy

Hi Andy,

Well your problem sounds like the ISP might have something to do with it or if you are running enhanced it can be a simple misconfiguration. However for me to tell you what is really happening I will need you to log the VPN Phase 1 and 2 when they are building a tunnel, go to the log setting and make sure the VPN tunnel catagories are selected.

If you are running enhanced OS make sure all objects using the tunnel are in the VPN ZONE not the LAN (default).

Roger White CISSP, CISA, CISM, GSEC
Certified SonicWALL Instructor
Certified Security Architect and Auditor
SonicWALL Curiculum Developer and Senior Trainer
SonicWALL Academy
(718)450-8127

Are both units on BBUs ? the Sonics have power supplies with small capacitors, making them suceptible to power anomomilies.

Also pathping the firewalls from both directions, check for packet losses

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back