Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Most Recent Record of Several Individuals

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJOHNS

MIS
Sep 12, 2001
US
I have a program in which members are assessed monthly. The problem is not all members are assessed on the same day, and some less active members occasionally skip a month. My database tracks the assessments. I need a report that list all the members and their most recent assessment.

Can someone help me figure out how to do this?

Thanks

JJOHNS,

Can you provide some table layout information??

What version of Access??

I am having a little trouble seeing your table, fields, and data. I expect others are too. Do you mind helping us out a little?

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]
[green]Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.[/green]

Here is what my assessment table is set up like:

PKey - Name
PKey - AssessmentDate
Result1
Result2

The people in this program are assessed based on certain results. It's a health-monitoring program, so they're assessed based on weight change, heart rate, BP, etc. Each month's assessments are entered into the same table, but I want the report to pull only the most recent assessment of each person.

The simplest method is to create a totals query
SELECT [Name], Max(AssessmentDate) as MaxDate
FROM tblAssessment
GROUP BY [Name];
Save this query as qgrpNameDate and then create a new query with the table and the new query. Join the [Name] fields and AssessmentDate with MaxDate.

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]

The problem with that is that because the name field is in the query, I get this error:

"You tried to execute a query that does not include the specified expression '[Name]' as part of an aggregate function."

I'm starting to think the best answer would be to create a second table. I could delete the last assessment for the person from one table, but not the other. Then I could insert the current assessment record into both tables. That'll work, but it just seems like there's got to be an easier way.

Which query gives you the error? Could you provide the SQL view of both queries?

Duane MS Access MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back