Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

More Tell Target blindness 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyrm2012

Programmer
Jul 3, 2001
GB
Tell Target Can't Find target

Ok,

I have a simple clip where some horizontal lines slide in from the left and slot into some bullet points. This clip is slightly different for each main menu item. Now theoretically the clip should just start when the frame is entered. This works fine for the first three menu items but the last two never work. Although occasionaly they will work. I have added a play() action to the first frame of the clip to be safe but still nothing. It shouldn't even need the play() action! I can't see any differences between the ones that work and the ones that don't.

I will post a link to the page but be warned it is aimed at corporate clients and you will need a decent connection. If it helps I can post the .fla as well.

They all work except for Text:Club and Text:Web.

Thanks to all who can help.

Hmm, I just realised they work if you look at them first time but not if you look at other menu items first. Crazy.

This is just one symbol being used in several instances so I tried using Tell Targets to get it to play. When I tested the movie though Flash said it couldn't find the two instances in question! They are named of course and I targeted them using the little target icon. They shouldn't even show up at all if they really weren't there.

Live forever or die trying.

Thanks Old and to everyone who helped.

The syntax I was using when Flash couldn't find those last two instances was:

_root.instanceName.gotoAndPlay(1);

Also the playhead was being sent to different frames in the main timeline not the instance. However, when I missed out the _root part it all worked normally and can now see the last two instances. Seems quite strange to me but there ya go... If you want to see the final working SWF here it is:

In the future everything will work.

Don't quite understand your explanation... But hey! If it works, good for you!
mywink.gif
ldnewbie

Yea, I found out by trying the same thing he was doing...sometimes you have to use absolute paths, and relative paths, and a whole jumbled mix to have telltarget actually find anything...;-) Regards,
AnthLOLny
----------------------------------------
"Oh my god, DONT use FRAMES!"
"You say insanity like it's a BAD THING!"

--Lighten up, have a little fun in life...dont be a grump!

Luke, use the target selector! Just clicks!

PS: If you keep going on like this... Your signatures will end up being longer than your posts!
mywink.gif
ldnewbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back