Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

More problems with Max querys

Status
Not open for further replies.

camelman

Programmer
May 31, 2001
ZA
Hi people

I have a table called receipts in a SQL Server Database. I want a list of clients, their last receipts (according to date) and the details of these receipts.
ie: If there are 100 different clients in the table (each with 10 receipts) then I should only get 100 records returned.

The receipts table has the following fields

Client ID No (text)
Receipt No (text)
date (date)
amount (currency)
reference (text)

If I use

SELECT [Client Id No], MAX(Date) AS LastReceipt FROM Receipts GROUP BY [Client Id No];

I get the last date for each client. I Still need the amount and reference for that receipt.
If I try and add MAX(Amount) then I get the highest amount independant of the receipt with the highest date. If I just add the amount field (without the MAX) then I get every single receipt in the table.

Anyone know how to do this ?

select * from recipts r
where date in (select max(date) from recipts
where [Client Id No] = r.[Client Id No])

Why don't you get rid of the spaces in the column names? Just causing a bother and to no avail.

Hi,

Have a look at this thread

thread183-491142

Sunil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back