Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

More PM to PDF printing problems... XP incompatibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KyleK

Technical User
Aug 22, 2003
US
I've seen similar problems to mine in this and other forums, but none of the solutions offered seem to work.

When I try to export to PDF I get the following error messages: "Saving the PostScript output failed" and "Could not print to the PostScript file."

I never had any problem when I used PM6.5 on Windows 98. After I upgraded to Windows XP, it continued to work fine for several months, then suddenly wouldn't work anymore (possibly coinciding with installation of one of Microsofts numerous "critical updates"). I upgraded to PM7.01, but no luck.

Adobe's tech document located at offers the solution: 'Before exporting to PDF, change the print properties for Acrobat Distiller so that "Do not send fonts to Distiller" is deselected'. This solution seemed to work for MissAngie (thread227-558744), but it has absolutely no effect on my computer.

Numerous posts recommend using the "2-step" process, but that doesn't help, as it's the 1st step (creating PostScript output) that fails.

The strange thing is that I am able to create PDF output by printing directly to the Distiller Printer driver, which seems to bypass the PostScripting process entirely (but gives me much less control over the output).

If I don't get an answer soon, I'll PAY Adobe for phone support, but I suspect it's a problem they know of but have no fix for...

any thoughts?
~kyle

Hi, KyleK,

> The strange thing is that I am able to create PDF output by printing directly to the Distiller Printer driver, which seems to bypass the PostScripting process entirely (but gives me much less control over the output).

I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Distiller is a virtual printer - it takes the PostScript Driver output (from ANY application) and converts it into a PDF.

See if my tutorial helps.

Iechyd da! John
22:11 27/08/2003 BST

Thanks John,

When I have time (probably late tonight) I'll try uninstalling and re-installing according to the instructions in your tutorial.

As for...
>I'm not sure what you mean by that.
... I confess I'm not highly technical, and don't really understand what Distiller is or how it works. What I mean is that I go to FILE>PRINT and in the drop-down menu in the Print dialog box there's a printer named "Acrobat Distiller". I select it, hit "OK" and in about 1 second I have a PDF. (When my export feature was still working, it normally took several seconds to create the PS file before sending it to the Distiller, and then another 20-40 seconds before successful completion)

Actually this would be fine, if I could control the output quality. (I can go to Printer Preferences, and change settings for compression, color management, fonts, etc, but they seem to have no effect - output is always small and low-res, as if formatted for screen)

Anyway, I'll post again after I've followed your advice and let you know what happened.

~kyle

OK, Kyle.

> Actually this would be fine, if I could control the output quality.

Search for and run "acrodist.exe". You can set your default
options from there.

Iechyd da! John
23:32 27/08/2003 BST

John,

I'm following your tutorial instructions, but when I installed the Postcript Printer Driver, I noticed you had it set to "print to file". I don't seem to have any such port. How can I create one, or is it important? (I set it to use LPT1:, which has no printer currently plugged into it).

I remember that I previously had it set to use a PDF port (which also is not available, as I assume it is created when Distiller is installed, which you recommended doing after installing the PS driver.)

~kyle

Hi, KyleK,

Browse to the printers folders, hold down Alt and double click on the Postscript Printer icon.

Click on the "Ports" tab and select the port "FILE:" You should see this if you're running Win2K

printtofile.gif

Hope that helps.

Iechyd da! John
18:55 28/08/2003 BST

No, sorry it doesn't. I'm running Windows XP, and there is no "FILE:" port in the list...

(maybe that's why I haven't been able to create postscript output all along...)

I'm searching microsoft support pages to find out how to install the port, but so far all the references I've found presume (as you did) that it's already there.

Do I have to reinstall Windows?

~kyle

John,

the problem has been solved... my trouble was the result of my PostScript driver not being set to the FILE: port (because one did not exist). Creating one was easy, once someone told me how (see thread779-641109). I reconfigured the PostScript driver to use the FILE: port, deleted & recreated the Acrobat Printer Style and now it works perfectly.

Thanks
~kyle

Hi, KyleK,

Yes the answer is to create it if it's missing, and as you found out it has to be called "FILE:"

All it means is that the postscript driver output data is saved as a file, not directed to a port for another device to deal with.

Distiller then opens the file and converts it into a PDF.

Good to know it's fixed and working. Cool!

Iechyd da! John
22:57 28/08/2003 BST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back