Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

More out of my GeForce 6200? 19000 aquamark score????

Status
Not open for further replies.

deanos63

Technical User
Jun 23, 2005
GB
I have a Geforce 6200 and i used aquamark3 and got a bench mark score of 19000 at high detail. Is this an average kind of score for this card? I just have the feeling something isnt running smoothly.
I have got all the updated drivers, including my bios, and i have just installed a PCI fan blower so it is always cool.
Are there any tips on how to get the score up? I have thought about overclocking but i don't really fancy that.

Specs
P4 2.5Ghz
1Gb RAM
Geforce 6200 256mb AGP Graphic card.

also before this card i had a ATi Radeon 9600 256mb (which has broken now), what card is better the radeon or the geforce?

Is the R9600 better than the GF6200 ? Of course not, the R9600 is two generations behind. It wouldn't stand a chance.
On the other hand, given that a P4 3.2 with a R9600 gets a score over 20000, you might want to ask yourself if you don't have a bottleneck somewhere.
Like maybe your P4 is just too slow to get any better.

Pascal.

thank you, someone has cleared it up for me.

i not really up on all the graphic card in's and out's i just go by price. the radeon cost me less before it stopped working properly.

It's just that the radeon seemed to run alot smoother then the Geforce card. The geforce card is 64bit and the radeon was 128bit, would that make a difference??

thanks for that pmonett, but i think i can get more then 19000 out of this baby!

deanos63
It's not quite that simple.
The Radeon 9600 was a midle ranking card of 2 years vintage
The Nvidia 6200 in an entry level card of the present day

Sure tested with a modern benchmark the 6200 card will appear faster due to it's better DX9 and pixel shader intructions but this often does not interprit into a smoother gaming experience.
It really depends on the specific game, the very latest will probably favour the newer card because of it's additional features but games that have been around 18months or so will probably play better with the older 9600.

I agree with pmonett to a certain degree that your CPU may be a slight bottle neck but the 6200 is a low end card so shouldn't be too effected by the slightly slower CPU.
The main problem is the card itself, it just isn't very powerful by todays standards.

I recently had a similar experience with a Radeon 9700PRO (now 3 years old) and a brand new 256mb Nvidia 6600.
The older Radeon was far smoother playing Doom3 than the much newer 6600, just goes to prove benchmarks don't tell the whole story.

Games like Far Cry, Doom3 & Half Life2 really do need more power than the 6200 can offer.
You need:

Nvidia FX5700/5900/5950 or 6600/6600GT/6800 or higher

ATI Radeon 9700/9700Pro/9800/9800Pro/9800XT or
X700/X800 series

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

yes, thanks for the extra info. i'm starting to build a picture up now of the graphic cards out there now.

That's what was bugging me. My radeon DID play games smoother then the geforce, only slightly.

the cards you mention there are close to £150. I payed £60 for the radeon and it played SWAT 4 as smooth as anything.

I have heard a lot about radeon being unreliable and cheaply made and many people seem to have problems with them thats why i have gone out and brought a Nvidia instead.

I could get an exchange on the radeon and send my nvidia back, but im not sure now!

if you was in my position what would you do? Radeon 9600 or GeForce 6200? if you had to choose.

deanos63
Well you answered your own question quote "My radeon DID play games smoother then the geforce"

Some of the cards I mentioned ie: Radeon 9700Pro, can be had for under £55 refurb (ebay)

See:

ATI Radeon cards are no less reliable or cheaper made than Nvidia cards (I've owned many of both) currently have a X800XT, last cards were 2X 6600GT's in SLI

If you can get the 9600 exchanged then do so but my advice still stands, get a better card.
A straight 9600 (non pro) is still a pretty weak card.

Like I say for under £60 a Radeon 9700Pro
If you can stretch to £85 then a Radeon 9800Pro see:

For around £120 then get an Nvidia 6600GT see:

Martin

thankyou once again.

going on your advise i might get a refund on the 9600 and resell the geforce and get the 6600GT.

Looking around i found these;

these have 256mb what is the difference between them and the 6600GT? I would have thought they would be better? but they are cheaper?

thanks paparazi

deanos63
Plain vanilla 6600's like these are much slower than their GT counterparts despite having twice the memory (did you not read about my experiences with an Inno3D 256 6600?) slower than a Radeon 9700Pro!

The main reasons are that non GT's use a much slower memory type (GT's on the other hand use much faster DDR3 usuially with 1.6ns modules)

GPU core is also much slower.

Why do you think they fit 256mb memory on these slower cards when they don't really use it? one reason only! to get suckers who don't know any better to buy them!

At that price point you would be better off buying a radeon 9800Pro

Martin

that sucker is me im telling you! any way i have now seen the light and have been greatly informed. thanks for your help, i hope this thread has and will help others looking to buy graphic cards.

manythanks

deanos63

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back