Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

More of a legal than a technical question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl Blessing

Programmer
Feb 25, 2000
US
I searched everywhere online about north carolina state law, I'm trying to determine if it's legal to tell an employee to work 44 hours a week, (The catch is, no overtime is paid, they just say 44hr is your salary rate) the reason I ask is because a friend of mine who has a BA in criminal justic, was telling me that in the state of NC, you cannot work past 40 hours and not get any overtime for it. I just wanted verification , since I'm required to work 44hours a week. [sig]<p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.com>kb244@kb244.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>
[/sig]

wow response to such an old topic, well good thing to keep in mind, but least the good news, is I Got a raise which was 1.5 times higher than I was being paid on salary, I'm also now on the project with our largest customer, which also means more bonuses on the way, but basically put, the tunnel is getting brighter at the end.
Karl
kb244@kb244.com
Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)

Glad to hear it! If your work is anything like your posting efforts, keep up the good work.

I would have to agree with most of the other replies to your question. Most of the people I know who are salaried, work way over 40 hours a week. This is considered the downside to being a salaried employee. The only time they would receive any overtime pay was if they came in on a non-scheduled day. If you are really concerned about it consult a lawyer in your state about the legality of it.

Good luck,

SJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back