Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

More MS Security/printing problems with SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarrenH

IS-IT--Management
Jun 19, 2002
GB
I installed KB810217, KB828749 and KB824145 on one of my W2KSP2/FR2 servers

Now non-administrators with autocreated printers (the MD at home with his laptop) can't login - it appears to hang. It sounds a bit like Q823747, but I'm not sure.

The server also complains about not being able to use the roaming profiles

I have both of these problems on my SP4/FR3 test rig. I did find a registry key to deal with problem 2 which appears to be because my roaming profiles are on a netware server and windows can't determine the owner. In the end uninstalling, KB810217 did the trick.

Regmon and Filemon haven't helped me track down what is causing problem 1. Uninstalling KB828749 hasn't done it and I can't find an uninstall for KB824145. This is a cumulative update for IE6, so there might not be one. the temporary solution is to disable autocreated printer for all non-administrators.

I don't want to reignite all the printer discussions, but has anyone managed to resolve autocreating printers in SP4/FR3? Going on most posts and websites I have read, sticking with SP2/FR2 seems to be the best option. I have the latest v7 client on my workstation, although I have a lot of WinCE thin terminals that are stuck with whatever client came with them.

Has anyone run into these problems with SP2? I'd like to compare notes. If it's the IE6 update, then presumably I can reload the previous one over the top.

Darren

Interestingly, this is in the Event Log when the login hangs

The description for Event ID ( 39 ) in Source ( Cdm ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The following information is part of the event: \Device\CdmRedirector, 14.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back