Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

More memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

virtualranger

Technical User
Sep 14, 2001
GB
Our server is running SBS 2k. It has 1GB RAM and usually shows around 25% available memory. Recently everything has slowed down and I am trying to discover what has caused it. The server has a gigabit card and the network does not appear to be the bottleneck. The multi-processor usage is well within acceptable limits (usually between 3-7%).

The only thing I'm noticing is quite a lot of pages/sec. I'm polling every second and average pages/sec can quite often reach over 100/sec on average. There are also about 100-200 page faults/sec. Is this an indication of insufficient RAM? If so, why does the amount of available RAM remain pretty constant at 25%? I dont understand why its paging when there is still RAM available. I would think that with RAM still available there would be no paging at all. Is it something to do with the working set of each process? I thought the size of the working set for each process was optimised by windows?

Can anyone explain this?

Thanks,
Jamie

How big is your systems pagefile? Microsoft recommends 1.5 times the size of your physical memory. Just something to check.

I am also running SBS 2k. I am not a sys admin, just filling in for the departed IT guy. I noticed that we usually have about 3-5% of free memory. I am not a server person, so I was wondering if someone could provide some troubleshooting tips? Thanks for everyone's help in advance.

Pagefile is 1.5x size of RAM as recommended.

Thanks,
Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back