Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

(More info from previous post) VPN to QuickBooks Pro 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

flteng

IS-IT--Management
Jun 25, 2004
US
Thanks to Clarksville for the timely reply on the original post. Here is more info

Bldg 1 – Road Runner Business Class with dynamic IP’s behind a NetGear FVS318 Router connected to a 24 port switch with 6 XP pro machines networked in a workgroup.

Bldg 2 – BellSouth partial T1 line with static IP,s (18 total) connected to a Bellsouth supplied Cisco router connected to a 24 port switch. With 4 Pc’s in a workgroup. Will be connecting the remaining 14 once the new school year starts.

Both bldg’s are connected via a fiber line. The line is connected to the switch in bldg 2 and Cico router in bldg. 1

Before the RR Business Class was installed in bldg. 1, I was able to have two of the Pc’s in bldg 2 join the workgroup in bldg 1 to access QuickBooks Pro. Since the RR service was installed last week I can no longer see the other workgroup in bldg 2. Is there a workaround for this to allow the 2 PC’s to access the workgroup in Bldg. 1? without setting up a VPN connection?

default route problems dude

do IPCONFIGs and route prints on the workstations.

depends on how you were mapping the drive letters

NET USE or something else?

also the new RR router may have ACLs

Prior to the installation of the RR service in bldg 1 the Netgear router was setup with the IP addressing info from BellSouth.

The two PC's in bldg 2 were set to optain an IP automatically and were able to connect to the workgroup in bldg.1 and map a drive to the QB data file located on the server. Simce the RR service was installed and the router in bldg 1 was set to optain form the RR service the connection and drive mapping were lost. Is there a way to configure the router to allow the 2 pc's access once again?

Do your workstations behind the Netgear have public IP addresses? I suspect that they don't, and you need to enable static nat on the router. I don't know if the Netgear can do this for all workstations.

I do not beleive the PC's behind the router have public IP addresses. I only need 2 PC's in bldg 2 to access the 2003 server behind the Netgear router in bldg 1 where the data file is located. I will check on enabling static nat and repost the results. Thanks for the info.

Yes the FVS318 router does support static nat routing

Good. It just occurred to me also that you'll want to look into filtering traffic by source IP address, at least. I'm sure you don't want everyone on the internet connecting to your Windows server.

Lee.

I really appreciate you helping with this.

Just so I have this straight In order for the 2 PC's in bldg 2 to access the data file on the server in bldg 1 I will need to setup static nat routing on the FVS318 in bldg 1 and then filter the Internet traffic by IP address.
Any good sites for seting up the static nat routing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back