Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

More fun signs 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ESquared

Programmer
Dec 23, 2003
US
At a doctor's office recently:

DONATE TO
OURTROOP'S IN
IRAQ IT WILL
MAKE A
DIFFERENCE

IT COSTS $ 8.00 TO
SEND BOXES

NO CHOCLATE
CANDYS
NO COOKIES

DOCTOR LIGHT'S
STAFF
ANY ? PLEASE
CALL LISA
# 555-0226
I found it amusing: the spelling mistakes, wording choice, and line breaks.

Horse doovers? Doesn't sound very appetizing.

Tibi gratias agimus quod nihil fumas.

Could be I guess, the French apparently have a penchant for horsemeat after all ;-)

Alan Bennett said:
I don't mind people who aren't what they seem. I just wish they'd make their mind up.

Horse doovers? Non, non, je regret le mane course.

sorry.

[green]"They say that Fret A Stair was afraid of flights." I recommended a 12-step program.[/green]

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly exchanged his dilithium crystals for new Folger's Crystals." -- My Sister
--Greg

Back in the Eighties, I saw a sign painted on a road in Adelanto, CA that read:

AHAED
STOP

I've seen this also. I thought it was a mistake when I first came across it. But I think the idea is that you read the words as you get to them in your car. That way you read STOP and then AHEAD. It looks incorrect when taken together (AHEAD over STOP) but not if they are read this way.

My favorite misspelled sign is one that was near where I live. There was a condemned building on the main road running through a small town. The building had been boarded up but apparantly the owner had trouble with people trespassing. So he took the time to spray paint (on the boards) PRIVET PROPERTY in letters 2-3 feet high. It took close to 5 years before they painted over it.

Tomed: That wasn't Phil's point. They had misspelled AHEAD as AHAED.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ181-2886 before posting.

A funny one I saw at the local Midas recently was,
Best place in town to take a leak.

A good mispelling that I saw last fall was 8' tall and some 30' long graffiti along the train tracks into Seattle

...it proclaimed.

Another clever one that comes to mind I saw at a local Chiropractor last fall. It read,
Crawl-ins welcome.

v/r
Gooser

On that note, before Katrina, there were bumper stickers often seen in New Orleans:

New Orleans.
Proud to call it home.

After the storm, I started seeing these:

New Orleans.
Proud to crawl home.

and

New Orleans.
Proud to swim home.

tomed said:
Thanks anotherhiggins. I'm an idiot.
LOL, don't feel bad. That sounds like something I would have - er, have - done.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]

Gooser, have you gone into the restroom at that Midas location to test out their claim? If not, you should. When they ask if they can help you, just tell them you're there to see if it is the best place to take a leak and promptly walk into the restroom.

Not sure if this image is for real or is a product of Photoshop, but it does strike a funny bone.

[offtopic]
Gooser: Did you take a little sabbatical? I didn't see you around for quite a while there.
[/offtopic]

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]

There was a fun little book in the U.K. showing spoof signs - Signs of Life: Useful Signs For The General Public
by Dave Askwith and Alex Normanton.
A few are visible on the bbc.co.uk website - I particularly like the 'Elton John Wig Rotation control'

soi la, soi carré

I remember seeing those, drlex. Not quite so funny, but at work we have an old walk-in safe, with the switch outside labelled 'safe light'. Some wag has labelled the other light switch (which operates the office lights) 'dangerous light'. Took me some time to catch on when I moved into this office, which probably says more about me than than you need to know!

Alan Bennett said:
I don't mind people who aren't what they seem. I just wish they'd make their mind up.

The staff in my chiropractor's office often wear shirts that proclaim:
Glad to see your back!

[sup]Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.[/sup][sup] ~George Bernard Shaw[/sup]
Consultant Developer/Analyst Oracle, Forms, Reports & PL/SQL (Windows)
My website: www.EmuProductsPlus.com

BJCooperIT,

I find that highly amusing because one of my grammatical pet peeves is the improper use of "your" and "you're". To see a situation where it appears to be misused, but is actually correct is hilarious.

Check this one - though not if you're having a meal or even a snack.

------------------------------
An old man [tiger] who lives in the UK

Ladyazh - I take it '~IKEA~' is an expression of disgust? Strangely enough over here (UK) it's a chain of Scandinavian mass-market furniture stores, some of whose products might be equally accurately described using your definition.

Alan Bennett said:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back