Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

More data fields exported to excel than on report

Status
Not open for further replies.

lesp1

Technical User
Feb 18, 2002
GB
I have been given a copy of a report (Crystal 8.5) that is used solely as a means of users extracting data to read into excel. The report on screen has, say, 20 columns, but on export to excel a further 10 columns are also present. Ideally I would like to add another column, and rename the headers on a few others, but as I cannot see them in either design view or in the displayed report I can't. Anyone know how I can get to this info.

Thanks

Les P

Are these blank columns? Or columns with real data that you can't see on the report itself?

Do you have the latest patches and dlls? Last year, there was a change in Crystal 8.5 that improved it a great deal. If your export-choice says Excel Extended rather than MS Excel 97, then an update should fix it.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK) [yinyang]

Thanks for the reply. I am using Crystal 10, sorry for not making that clear. The original report is Crystal 8.5. The columns have real data and when exported to Excel all of the data is there, I just cannot see it through Crystal. Any thoughts?
I am an end user/report designer and it is possible that there are parts of the full software that I cannot access.

Cheers

Les P

When you look in Design view in CR can you see the cloumns that are being exported ? They nust be somewhere on the report.

Are these fields suppressed or has someone merely changed the font to the bacground colour so they don't show in preview ?

Gary Parker
MIS Data Analyst
Manchester, England

They do not show on the report on screen, I do not think they are hidden, but are somewhere off to the right "off the page".
I have found a way of changing the headers I wanted to change, via the Report Explorer, but have to do this "blind" i.e Edit text, delete each existing character one at a time by pressing delete for the number of characters present, then retype in what I want; I cannot see what I am deleting or entering, only the result of the changes afterwards.

Les P

Try using [Zoom] under [View] to see if the errant fields really are off the page.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK) [yinyang]

you can also change the paper size to A3 in landscape this may bring the fields on screen.

Gary

Gary Parker
MIS Data Analyst
Manchester, England

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back