Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

More Custom Reports Questions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edrondol

IS-IT--Management
Feb 20, 2003
US
Okay, I'm back with more goofy questions about custom reports. I think once I get these all figured out I'll be set.

I now know how to make custom reports and get them onto the enterprise global so that everyone can use them. But I do not know how to specify the columns for the reports. From the help file, it seems as if I need to update a table (in SQL?) that has the defined column headings. Is this correct?

I'm coming at this with very little information, training or background, so please forgive any lack of information to help me get started!

-Dave the Perpetually Confused

You're so close (you just don't realize it).

A report = a table + a filter.

So ...

1. Define a new table with the columns and widths you want.
2. Define a new filter that displays the rows you want.
3. Define a new report using the table and the filter.
4. Use organizer to move the table, filter and report to the Global.mpt or Enterprise.mpt (as appropriate).

(Some of this is from memory because I don't have MS Proj Enterprise on this machine.)

Okay. I'm working on the new table now (I found it in Project) and will let you know if I need anything else. You are (if I may say!) da man! Have another star...

Okay, of course that was too easy of an answer. I need to add columns that have not yet been defined. I see that there are columns titled "text 1", "text 2", etc. But I can not figure out how title a column "Outage Description". I know these defaul values have to be installed somewhere, but I can't seem to get to them through Project.

View | Table:XXXX | More Tables ... and click on New.

As you define the table, in column "Field Name" choose Text1 and in column "Title" type in "My Special Title" and save the table. Do what's necessary to save the table in the Enterprise.mpt.

Create the new report (remember: report = table + filter) and do what's necessary to save the table in the Enterprise.mpt.

Your job is done.

This is too easy. What am I missing in your question?

The help files from Microsoft say to click on "rename" to get the columns to say what you want them to, but the rename function is grayed out & can't be selected. I'll be playing around with your suggestion today. Again, thanks for all the help!

I'm not sure which screen you're looking at.

Please give me the precise keystroke by keystroke sequence so I can follow your path exactly. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back