Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

More charting problems - legend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaegar

Programmer
Sep 28, 2002
US
I must say that the charting tools in crystal reports are very poor indeed. Excel is far superior. For one time doesn't seem to work properly in my charts (see my other post) and you can't do a range of times either. 8:00, 8:01 and 9:00 appear the same distance apart when they should be proportionaly different.

Finally my biggest problem is the legend. I can't rename the text in the legend to something more meaningful. I can't resize the legend box and I can't change the text size either. The only way I can think off is to create a separate formula with the exact names I want based on the data I want to plot. This is rediculous and unacceptable if this is how I have to do it.

I thought this was the industry standard for reporting.

I guess I could manually create a legend using the drawing and text tools but that would be a major inconvenience. Also my chart is not based on a fixed period but rather a random number of days so it wouldn't work.

I think I'm going to have to export to excel.

Not to be discouraging since I do use Crystal a lot, but I do export all my data to Excel before charting. Charting in Crystal does not work well in my mind if you are doing anything but basic charting.

Unfortunately, I agree. I have major issues with Charting in Crystal Reports, too:

1) Label formatting - I should be able to format Dates just like I format them in the report.
2) Legend formatting - I should be able to customize the legend, rename the values, etc...
3) Charting on running totals. According to Crystal Decisions, this wasn't even possible prior to CR 8. Even with CR8 and 8.5, its still very limited due to the order in which CR processes report sections and objects. More often than not, I end up creating a running total field in a View and reference it directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back