Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monumental Mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

2ffat

Programmer
Oct 23, 1998
US
The North Carolina Veteran's Park in Fayetteville has the preamble to the US Constitution etched in glass on a wall.

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Prosperity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
Can you spot the mistake? They didn't until the monument was in place. To find the answer look at this article

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

The mistake will probably not endure as long as the intention.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Hehe.... :)

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Maybe they were on to something; if you are not prosperous you have less Liberty!

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Oooh, my aching prostrate!

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Not sure, but I would write "...ensure domestic Tranquility...", and also put comma before "...and our Prosperity...".
Now I have to check that article when I have a moment.

At the time the Constitution was ratified (1789) ensure and insure were interchangeable. That's not the error.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. - Plato

[hide]Prosperity - really?[/hide]
Holy smoke.

Greg
People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use. Kierkegaard

Yep I did peek and discovered the answer but was only responding to Stella740pl's guess at ensure domestic Tranquility.

sam

Well, at least they spelt (or is it spelled... I can never remember!) "defence" correctly! ;-)

Annihilannic.

I'm so glad that wealth is guaranteed in the constitution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back