Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monthly Hot Fix installation... 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

stancer

Programmer
Jan 16, 2003
US
Quick question that I can't seem to find the answer to on the CrystalDecisions web site:

Does anyone know if admin rights are required to install a hot fix?

I'm operating on Win2K, SP3.

Thanks in advance! :)

Probably as they install lots of DLL's, but that depends on what rights are assigned to whatever group that you're in, you may be able to do so without them.

-k

Not what I was hoping to hear, but what I suspected ;-(

The other thing I discovered is that the install will shut down all the std CR services, so the DLL's can be installed, but if you have any custom services running, you need to STOP them as well.

I'm developing a CR service and it was running when I installe the SP and hot fixes. Really screwed up my crystal. Stopping the service and reinstalling the patches fixed everything.

How often have we said "Don't have anything running when you install software". We sometimes forget all the services running in the background.

Editor and Publisher of Crystal Clear

Thanks Chelseatech! Very heads-up information, and applicable, as our IT folks seem to let more than a few apps run as services 'cuz it's easier than weeding out unnecessary processes. After I examined the Services applet, I realized that your advice is right on the money, and probably saved me a few headaches!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back