Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monitoring VSAM files with Openview

Status
Not open for further replies.

lc21

Technical User
Sep 11, 2002
GB
Just new to Openview and I need to monitor some VSAM / Cobol files on MVS (mainframe) with Openview. Does anybody know the best way to do this?

Thanks

lc21,

Never heard of VSAM, I have hear of VTAM (been a while since I was a mainframe term jockey). Anyway, most mainframes do run SNMP Agents and you can certainly enable the agent,load the appropriate MIB for the agent and see what that gives you. There are several products that allow you to monitor console messages from mainframes, here is a link to HP's product:

It seems as though you wish to monitor some logfiles. I know for UNIX and Cisco Network devices you can set up your management server as a syslog server an allow the devices to write their console messages to your management server for processing.

You do not say what OpenView products your running (NNM or OVO or both) or what platform you are running them on or what versions you are running, so this is about all the help I can give.

We have found that setting up an email from mainframe TMON to openview lets us know alot of whats going on....would this help??

Wolf

Wolf,

Well, as far as I know OpenView does not have an e-mail account. ;-)

You would need a script that logs into sendmail, extracts the portion of the e-mail that is the actual message, and send it to OpenView via the ovevent command.

We set up an email account and a script for Openview to read the mail and grep the information. As for the info coming out of the mainframe we used a send mail command at the end of the job so when it completed or abended it would send an email out. If you want I can get a hold of my Openview Admin for more info.

Wolf

Wolf I am not sure what you are looking for here. If you have the sendmail all set up to do what you want, what is the problem?

to be honest nfaber I think we are the only ones talking here...the mainframe person hasn't said anything lol

Wolf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back