Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monitoring servers with NNM

Status
Not open for further replies.

halfway

MIS
Dec 16, 2002
US
I'm looking for a good way to monitor servers with NNM, the problem is I'm working with a ton of remote sites that only have one server per segment and I want to be able to see an overview of all servers at once.

The only option I've found so far is to add each server to the quick navigator. I've tried to use map filters and only display the specific IP ranges to create a server only map or submap but I can't seem to get them to display in that way since they won't display on an internet level map.

Any hints/suggestions would be most welcome

Oh, It looks like creating a new submap from root and copy/pasting the servers in works out fairly well.

Try this...

If you are running HO OV NNM under UNIX (Solaris, for example), there are easy ways to handle this. The 3 files of interest are: "/etc/networks", "/etc/netmasks", and "/etc/hosts".

If you know the network number for each location ( 10.10.1.x, 10.10.2.x, 10.10.3.x ), then you can create a mapping for each network and give it a name.

/etc/netmasks
10.0.0.0 255.255.255.0

/etc/networks
Loc_001 10.10.1.0
Loc_002 10.10.2.0
Loc_003 10.10.3.0

/etc/hosts
10.10.1.1 Router_001
10.10.1.2 Switch_001
10.10.1.3 Server_001
10.10.2.1 Router_002
10.10.2.2 Switch_002
10.10.2.3 Server_002
10.10.3.1 Router_003
10.10.3.2 Switch_003
10.10.3.3 Server_003

Now, when the OVW application picks up the network number and places the round IP subnet symbol on the map, you will get a name for it.

The entries in the /etc/hosts table will name the servers, switches and routers according to the same naming convention.

Each location will have a name, so you will know what server is sitting underneath it without having to drill down!

If you can avoid it, with a large NNM installation, I would try to avoid using DNS. HP OpenView NNM (and really any other network management platform) is much more scalible when you are not using DNS.

If you must use DNS, place a caching name server on the NNM box, or on a sister box on the same LAN as the NNM server and make the NNM platform resolve via /etc/hosts table before using DNS as a resolution protocol.

Hope this helps,
David J. Halko EMS Architect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back