Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monitoring server room temp

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmrsupport

IS-IT--Management
Sep 13, 2006
US
I have searched hi and low for a simple solution to this problem without having to create the hardware myself. What I would like is a simple thermometer that I can connect to one of our servers so that I may monitor the temp in the room. I have found many articles on Google on how to create my own (I entertained the thought, but I have never sodered a board in my life), and then there are rack mounted environment monitors that cost $250+.

Anyone know of anything I can get? I was looking at simple wireless thermometers, but I would like to be able to incorporate the data into a historical graph and maybe create email alerts. We have Windows 2000, 2003, and Linux servers if someone knows of something that would work for any of those OS's. Thanks!

If you use APC UPS units, you can get the environmental monitoring module that monitors temp, humidity, and even some hardwired contacts. We use them for out of band notification in the event the HVAC goes down.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

I did see those, and we do have APCs, but I just don't want to spend an arm and a leg on it, even though it's warranted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back