Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monitoring outgoing e-mail in Exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.

gullung

IS-IT--Management
Jul 2, 2000
SE
I’m using Exchange 5.5 together with TFS-Gateway.<br>How do I monitor outgoing e-mail from a user without him knowing?<br>

Unless the user is amazingly paranoid, log into NT as Administrator and open their mailbox. View Sent Items.<br><br>This works even without snooping packages.<br><br>If you just want to see WHO and not WHAT, enable verbose tracking of email. <p>Zel<br><a href=mailto:zel@zelandakh.co.uk>zel@zelandakh.co.uk</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

That’s just it. He’s paranoid all right, he’s on to me and deletes all mail from the mailbox the moment he send them. I need to see what he sends.<br><br>Thanks anyway<br>

I outgoing mail, does that mean all mail including those bound for internal exchange users?

- Assuming you have set an appropriate tombstone lifetime, could you ensure the user has Outlook '98 and restore his deleted items when logged on as the service account?

I have the same problem.&nbsp;&nbsp;What if users deliver mail directly to personal folders?&nbsp;&nbsp;Can you monitor it then?

Start reading your logs. Those exchange log files aren't really all that hard to read. You might need to turn up your logging a bit, but it can be done.<br><br>If you want to read what he's getting, set up an alternate recipient for him. <p> Mike Hillwig<br><a href=mailto:mike@hypermike.com>mike@hypermike.com</a><br><a href= done more R5 deployments than I care to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back