Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monitoring CE Servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

CodeLover55

Programmer
Oct 16, 2002
US
Hi,

Has anyone written an application or knows how to write one which can monitor the Crystal Enterprise servers viz. WCS, Page Server, CacheServer, EventServer, JobServer etc. I want to monitor these servers and determine whether they are running or not.

Please provide a sample code if possible.

Thanks.

The Event Viewer should already be monitoring these, what do you intend to monitor?

And the Web Component Server is creating a log file, which you can modify somewhat by using Crystal Management Console->Servers

-k kai@informeddatadecisions.com

Basically, I'll have a web application which would keep an eye on all the CE servers and the moment anything goes down/ not responds, it will email/page the support persons.
I am not sure about what the Event Viewer or the WCS log file will show for a service which seems to be running but is actually hung and not doing anything.
I might also want to pull some metrics for each of the servers.
I therefore thought that querying the APS InfoStore might tell me more about each of the servers. But for reason it doesn't work. Have a better way ?

There are lots of programs available to monitor services on local or remote servers, inclusive of notifications, you'd be rewriting what has existed for years, some of which are even freeware.

Here's a shareware version:

-k kai@informeddatadecisions.com

CE 8.5 has an admin sdk. There are a few examples on the launchpad page. These are interfacing with the sys db and showing metrics such as jobs, users etc. As it is accessible with csp, you could code it to email etc if certain conditions were met. It might not have everything you need, but combined with a tool like synapse suggests you should be okay. Icytrue

icytrue@hotmail.com

I am running into the same problem too. I am monitoring the services (PageServe, CacheServer etc). But sometimes, even though the service is running, the reports are failing. Is there any automated way to monitor reports, rather than the services that these reports depend on? Thanks much.

- Vinay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back