Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

monitoring a third party server

Status
Not open for further replies.

cathym

Programmer
Jul 17, 2002
US
I need to write an application that monitors a third party server that streams data. This third party application does not have a ProgID. I need to be sure that this server is up, and if the connection is lost, I need to be able to log back in.

I have always used a ProgID for automation in the past. I need to write this, and I don't have a clue how to. If someone can help, I would appreciate it.

I can't understand, you have on OLE object without ProgID? ir ID is not registered in registry?

Ion Filipski
1c.bmp

No, it is not in the registry. I have a couple of these. They stream live price data into excel. The one I need to monitor was written in Java, and I do have documentation for its methods. Without a ProgID, however, I have no idea how to capture it in a com. Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

I'm a bit confused by your question. You want a ProgID of a non COM object. If I understand you right, it is impossible. Or I missunderstand you...

Ion Filipski
1c.bmp

I'll explain from the begining. I have a third party thin client on my computer. This client logs into a remote server with a user name and password. Once logged in, I receive live prices from it. The problem is the connection is lost frequently, and I am not always their to log back on. I need to write something that can check the connection, and automatically log back in when the connection goes down. This thin client is not in the registery.

In the past, to automate something, I have always used ProgID to let my app know what program. I do not have a clue how to get my app to see this program, and yet, I have to write it.

I do have an IP address, and a port number. Thanks.

Ok, do an exchange of an ID(integer or GUID or other kind of ID) on the first connection. Let server or the client to generate this ID.

Ion Filipski
1c.bmp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back