Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monitoring a HP laser printer on Solaris

Status
Not open for further replies.

krishania

Instructor
Mar 7, 2001
US
Hello,
We have a laser printer which is its own server. It is on the network and the Solaris 8 machines have access to it. I found that telneting to the printer does not allow me to monitor the queue.

Does anyone know how I can monitor the queue remotely? How do I configure what types of files can be printed?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Krishani.

Many of the larger HP printers (ones with direct ethernet attachment) also have their own internal web page from which you can monitor and configure. Its called HP WebJetAdmin or something similar.
It's a doddle to use if you have it. Ian

"IF" is not a word it's a way of life

You can download Webjetadmin from HP and install it on your Solaris Server or on your PC. This will let you monitor HP printers and plotters.

Thank you. I did download it, and it works fine. However, I still don't know if it allows me to delete jobs from the print queue. It shows me the print jobs, but I have not found a way to delete jobs.

If you know of any way that this could be done, please let me know.

Thanks again. The web interface is great.

Krishani.

On the servers lpstat -t will list all the print jobs sent from the Server.
Cancel <printername-jobnumber> will cancel this job.
You would have to check each Server for jobs sent from it.

set up one server to print with the hp-admin software ...

then on the other machines set up to forward via the first ...

you'll then always be able to know which machine is at the end of the line to delete jobs from it.

(thats how we have it set up)

jon

If you do as Jad suggested, pick a machine with plenty of free space in /var to spool print jobs to. Especially if you have a lot of big print jobs.

always have big /var/spool's on your machines ... :) never ever accept the poxy small size the default /var is set to when you install :)

just my 2 cents ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back