Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monitor won't boot w/ computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

exegeses

Vendor
Dec 24, 2002
US
I am in the process of setting up a new system with my personal monitor. I've had no compter/monitor problems until recently. Now for some reason this monitor just won't go active (green light) when the system boots. The monitor just stays on standby (orange light). I reconnected all the cables, restarted the monitor and computer in different sequences, and all attempts have failed. The strange thing is that this same monitor still works just fine with my own system. What gives??
(I don't have another monitor at present to try.)

You don't even get a display in the POST screens?
List the rest of the system components you're using...

I don't get POST screens. System does recognize keyboard. This system has a ASUS A7N266-VM motherboard powered by AMD XP 2100+ with nVidia GeForce2 MX on board.

Ok, The first thing that you want to do is make sure that it not you monitor. Plug the monitor directly into the wall and turn it on, see if it will do a self test if this works then goto the pc. Plug the PC into the wall and see if you get POST and a Boot screen, If not then im sorry to say that it is your onboard video card.

This is just a quick thought... If you are not even getting any POST output or POST beeps - have you checked the RAM you are using for integrity and suitability? I've often had faulty RAM (or a dodgy CPU) suppress the POST and VGA output.

Cheers,

UrbanK.

Merry Christmas to one and all...

I agree with urbankhaos.

You optimal first choice would be to FIND another monitor to try. This will tell you pretty quickly if the issue is the monitor or the computer itself. My guess is the latter.

You might try looking through faq602-2731 for ideas regarding potential problems with your build. Mudskipper
___________________________________________________________________________________

Groucho said it best- "A four year-old child could understand this! Quick! Run out and find me a four year-old child: I can't make heads nor tails out of this!"

Hi
Iam getting the Same problem with a PC Chips M810 Mother Board, AMD ATHLON XP 1600 CPU and 576 MB SDRAM... The Graphics Card Iam trying to Put in is a CREATIVE 3D BLASTER GEFORCE 4 TITANIUM 4200 64 MB DDR.... I Inserted the card and connected the Monitor cable and No signal was getting sent to the Monitor... Please could someone help...

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back