Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monitor wakes from sleep mode randomly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hatchetman240

Technical User
Aug 21, 2003
US
I have been seeing my monitor wake randomly in the middle of the night with no outside influences on the keyboard/mouse. Any ideas?

Do you have a high speed internet connection to the pc and you could try installing a different driver for the monitor but they typically dont need drivers.

S.B
A+, MCP
Admin

Yes I have high speed internet, and my monitor hasnt ever needed any new drivers. I run Zone Alarm and Norton, and am fully checked out by hijack this, ad aware and spybot. I also worried initially that someone was telnetting in and moving my mouse on screen causing the wake of the monitor, but it simply isnt the case according to the above programs. No unusual programs are running when this occurs, and I am using XP pro.

Is your anti virus set to check your hard disk at a certain time?

Is the monitor turning on or the computer booting up?

Just a thought,
Check your BIOS most new MB have a "Wake on LAN (or ethernet, whatever!)" function, and your internet connection may use an ethernet port? so any activity on your connection could possibly wake the computer up...

Some high speed connections periodicly check their status with the server etc,..

Hope it helps

"Is your anti virus set to check your hard disk at a certain time?"

No that fires up much later in the morning at 8am. Moreover no programs are running when the incident occurs

"Is the monitor turning on or the computer booting up?"

The monitor is turning on, its waking up from the sleep mode it goes into as if someone moved the mouse.

"Just a thought,
Check your BIOS most new MB have a "Wake on LAN (or ethernet, whatever!)" function, and your internet connection may use an ethernet port? so any activity on your connection could possibly wake the computer up...

Some high speed connections periodicly check their status with the server etc,.."

I am using an ethernet port for my LAN, which is connected to the internet via a cable router. I needed no special software to run this connection so I wouldn't think my NIC is doing anything out of the ordinary, any outside influence trying to ping my machine would run into my firewall (zone alarm, which is in a stealth type mode) and I would get a pop up notification for blocked traffic (which I have not).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back