Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monitor VPN usage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TGaylor

MIS
Jul 27, 2004
US
What is the best way to monitor the amount of time an individual is connected to the VPN? I need to provide some type of report to management on the hours someone is connected to our network via VPN. We have a Cisco 1760 with the VPN/IOS bundle; and a Radius server.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Tom

I woulkd think you should have some options with the radius server. I experimented with this some time ago. We have an 831 acting as a VPN server for remote users. With the use of Kiwi syslog server I directed logging to the server I installed syslog on, then logging trap debugging, and debug AAA authentication. This did capture when VPN users connected but I do not remember if it showed their disconnects. The unfortunate thing with capturing a debug is that if the router reloads you have to re-enter the debug command as I know of no way to have the router do that automatically and if not done then it will not capture that information.

Just tested it and it does not capture the disconnect information. There may be another command for that but you should be able to do something with the redius device.

There should be an option in the config for an accounting server. That will record starts & stops to RADIUS.

We had one of summer students develop a small script that parsed the daily event logs from the VPN (Contivity), searching for all paired start and end events, based on session ID. After that, we had him develop some stanard reports based on the sorted data.

Thank you gentlemen for posting; a friend sent me the info to do this:

aaa accounting network default start-stop group radius
aaa accounting update periodic 10

Best Regards,

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back