Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monitor/video sync problem(s)? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

startup

Technical User
May 22, 2002
US
I have 2 problems I'm experiencing with my video but I cannot figure out why they are happening.

My system specs are:

MB = ECS K7S5A
Graphics = Visiontek XTASY Ti 4200 64Mb
OS = W2k SP3
Monitor = KDS @tview 700?

1) Periodically when I boot the computer, immediately, before even the graphic card information displays or BIOS information posts, the screen will lock into a rainbow display of vertical pink green, etc. lines. The computer will continue booting normally but the lines are frozen on the screen. If I reboot or shut down and restart it goes away. I've tried different BIOS versions for the motherboard, different drivers for the card (though this happens before any drivers would ever be loaded), but nothing has resolved this periodic problem. It also did the same thing with my older MX200 graphics card. Is it a Mobo problem?

2)My second problem, when I actually get booted into windows, is that the display randomly starts to shrink and expand on the horizontal access. This change is about 3/8 of an inch and it just flashes back and forth between the full size and the reduced size at random. Again I've loaded different Video drivers, tried different AGP drivers for the MB, different BIOS's but nothing made a difference. I think this problem started happening when I installed the Ti 4200 card, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for any help
Startup

Ok, lets assume it is not a motherboard or Video card problem, for now anyway.

That leaves your monitor.

So, have you tried updating the monitor driver or are you just using the default monitor plug n play driver? If you are using a "best Guess" monitor driver change it to the windows plug n play driver. I ask that because of your description "Monitor = KDS @tview 700?".

If you don't know what your monitor is exactly, look at the back plate and try searches on the reference numbers etc. to see if you come up with one.

Lastly, check the condition of the monitor cable and pins. Make sure everything is in tip top condition, especially the pins. They are soft, you can easily bend a pin and still plug your monitor in without knowing you bent one.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards. Booting your machine seldom does it any favours.

You also could try removing your gfx card and re-sitting it incase of any fluff or what not that may cause it to do the funny line thing

Are you sure the monitor isn't faulty? I might take it in and get a "fix" estimate, or try it on another computer to see if it exhibits the same weird problem...

Good luck,
Chris

Win98user,

Thanks for your suggestion which resolved one of my problems. I did have a specific KDS monitor driver installed for my monitor, but it was not WHQL certified for W2K. It worked fine with my old Gfx card but apparently with the Ti 4200 it had problems and caused the monitor to jump between the 2 sizes I talked about. Installing the "Default Monitor" driver has resolved this problem.

Don't know about the vertical lines problem yet, but since that only happens once a week or less, it doesn't concern me that much.

Startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back