Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monitor upgrade question

Status
Not open for further replies.

spyder850

Technical User
Jan 10, 2007
US
Hello all.

I'm looking to upgrade from my Dell 19" plane-jane square monitor to a Dell 22" Widescreen.

I have an Nvidia 7300GT Graphics card currently running at a maximum resoloution of 1280x1024, my graphics card will run a maximum resoloution of 2560x1600, my 22" monitor will have a maximum resoloution of 1680 x 1050. With that said, will i get much slower framerates during gameplay? will i notice a drastic drop in performance because im running a much higher resoloution?

If anyone wants to point out to me what else i may run into please let me know! thanks guys.

You shouldn't have any problems.

It comes down to two things.

The card's capability, and the game's in game display settings.

Most Games will run at 1024 x 768 resolution by default, even though you can change that, in game resolutions usually don't match Windows desktop resolutions. So even if windows is set at higher resolution, the moment the game loads it will change the display to whatever is set in game, so that's a non issue.

Second if the card can handle it then there should be no problem.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

thanks vacunita thats what i wanted to hear.

Well, this is if you want the monitor to stretch the video from say 1024 x 768 to the screen native resolution.

But if you want the game to play at the higher resolution, and take advantage of the better images, then the framerate will decrease a lot. Have a look at to have a feeling of how the game resolution affects the framerates.

Vacunita is right. However, at 1680 x 1050 resolution you WILL see a serious drop in performance unless you have a top of the line video card. So yes, do lower the in game resolution.

If the game supports it choose a wide screen resolution (even if its lower) to prevent stretching or black borders forming on your monitor's edges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back