Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monitor sits next to TV now my TV is acting wierd

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjj93421

Technical User
Feb 6, 2004
US
Hey, I wanted to know if there is anything wrong with your computer monitor sitting right next to your tv. I just had one monitor go out and just replaced it and now my TV is coming on but then going completely black. Is there some kind of electromagnetic thing that I need to know about? I am a new computer user and I don't want to buy a new TV after just buying a new computer monitor. The monitor I just replaced was bought "used" so I can understand why it went out but now my TV is acting like it is going to break, too. When I turn my monitor on, I can see my TV flicker. Don't I need to be concerned? Thanks in advance.

Yes you need to be concerned. Move the TV away from the computer, you shouldn't be watching TV while computing anyway, it's counterproductive. There are large electromagnetic fields around both the TV and the monitor. Make sure your equipment is on different outlets to further isolate them.

crap. Now, I might have to replace my tv, too. Its 11 years old but I never had any problem until I bought my computer.

I guess my first monitor had a war with my TV and it lost. RIP.

I moved the TV to the other side of the room. My tv goes black after about 30 minutes now.

Sounds like a bad internal connection. If it works for 30 minutes, the display circuits still work. It can probably be fixed, but may not be worth it.

my 17 inch monitors are 3 inches away from each other, is it too close? (this is distance between the 2 screens.)

programingnoob: not if they don't interfere with each other. Monitors have better magnetic isolation than TVs do.

My tv is about 6 feet from my computer & monitor, and on a different outlet, and it uses an antenna, not cable. When my tv is on, and I turn on my computer, there and a bunch of interference/snow lines across the tv for a few seconds. Also when I open up certain applications, the same thing happens to the tv. The different resolution settings and vertical Hz setting of my PC have different effects of the TV. Try changing your resolution and monitor Hz settings. Sounds weird but it may fix your problem.

jjj93421, is your tv going out after exactly 30 minutes?
My tv has a sleep feature that I can program so the tv goes off after 30 to 120 minutes. Thats probably not your problem, but anything is possible.

franklin97355 is right, you shouldn't be watching TV while computing anyway, it's counterproductive. When my TV is on, I usually don't get much work done...Bad TV...:)

My 25" color TV is 8 inches from my monitor, been that way for years. I have no problems. I do have a "test" setup on the other side of the room. When that setup is being used, I do get interference on the lower channels throghout the house due to the unshielded setup. The only effect the monitor should have on the TV is the magnetic field which will be taken care of by the auto-deguass of the TV. Counter-productive? That's multi-tasking!

Gracie and I have several computers side by side on a common bench.

We often notice that the raster (aka picture) on one will give a great lurch when the adjacent machine is powered-up. I believe that this is due to the magnetic field generated by the de-gaussing system. It might also be partly due to a transient surge on the mains power wiring, although this is less likely as our wiring is of ample cross-section. The effect is temporary and non-damaging.

Those who already know about de-gaussing, skip this next bit: The cathode ray tube (CRT) has some metallic internal parts which can become magnetised. If this happens, it can cause the red, blue and green electron streams to lose convergence, then the screen will not show crisp colour; objects will be shown with coloured fringes. To counteract this, the front of the CRT is surrounded by a coil of wire. This is fed by a circuit which passes an initially heavy alternating current at power-up. The current swiftly decays to a negligible value over a few cycles of the power-supply frequency. The effect of this is that the internal parts are magnetised to saturation in one direction, then to the other, then alternately to opposite directions of decreasing strength, finally ending up de-magnetised.

(I have virtually no experience of them but I presume that the modern plasma or TFT flat screen displays don't need de-gaussing.)

The de-gaussing field extends some distance (e.g. a foot or two) outside the monitor concerned and so can briefly deflect the electron beams in an adjacent monitor. As I said above, this effect is temporary, mildly annoying but not harmful.

Another effect I have seen was with a Mac SE (one of the little 'all-in-one' Macs) next to a Vivitron 15 monitor; when they were both powered-up, there was a faint horizontal line which slowly ascended the screen of the Mac. It was a bit like the rising line you see on a TV picture of a display that's been 'filmed' using a camera with a non-sync'ed timebase. I think that this was interaction between the Vivitron time-base deflection coils and the Mac video circuits. Again, it was a non-damaging effect and didn't cause me any problems with using the Mac.

Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs - you haven't seen the latest Change Note!

If a Monitor interferes with a TV or a TV interferes with a monitor then they are not in compliance with FCC requirements for proper shielding. Ten years ago probably no one would have imagined how prolific the Computer use would become in the home. They make some nice expensive LCD TV's but they cost more than a good TV would cost. Newer TV's are probably a lot better compared to a 10 year old model. Some of them are probably coming out with Optical sound inputs/ooutputs and other fancy gadgets like the newer DVD players they have out now.

As for mysef, I have a 19 inch monitor about 5-7 feet from my TV, and I like to listen to the TV while I am online or playing games. Sometimes I just like a little background noise. It would be nice if they had some nice dual monitor Video Cards that would allow computers that let you have one monitor with TV and one monitor with regular computer stuff. They make some nice expensive LCD TV's but they cost more than a good TV would cost. Newer TV's are probably a lot better compared to a 10 year old model. Some of them are probably coming out with Optical sound inputs/ooutputs and other fancy gadgets like the newer DVD players they have out now.

My son has been watching TV on his computer with an ATI All-In-Wonder Video card. There is not much room in a dorm for all that stuff. He even plays PS2 games on the computer through the TV antenna input on his video card.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

No, it wasn't the sleep feature. My tv is just going black but I can hear the sound,still. Its on the other side of the room now and it hasn't even been plugged in since. I got so deathly ill 2 days ago that I layed in bed for two days straight. It's been a good tv. And I bought it at Wal-Mart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back