Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monitor settings in Safe Mode 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmacfa

Technical User
Jan 7, 2004
GB
Whenever I boot up with my Hansol monitor I get a message on the screen, after the Windows 2000 screen, which says 2 things 93 KHz and 60 Hz , "Settings out of range". I can't get any further with the boot up. The settings refer to the monitor settings. When I log in, using "Safe Mode", which uses VGA mode, I cannot get to and change the Hansol monitor settings. The only way I can do a normal boot is to install a different make of monitor. Any ideas how I can get to the monitor settings to change them using safe mode. Thanks.

Hi,
Has this always been the case?
Have u installed a new video card recently?
The fact that you still cant get into it in safe mode is not good.
Will that particuliar monitor work on another PC?

"Sometimes I do not know but I try hard"- R.F. Haughty 1923

Yes I've installed a different make of monitor and it works OK. I've also installed the failing monitor on another pc and it also works fine.

When you're in safe mode, can you un-install the video drivers for your
card, or switch it to Standard VGA

No I think that's the problem. I can't get to the driver.

Hmm,I am haing difficulty in finding a solution.
U may have to reinstall the OS if a better post does not appear here-other wise just swop the monitor.
Wait for w ahile and see if a more ingenious post appears!

Delete the Monitor Driver for the problem monitor in Device Manager. Make sure you do a View, Show all hidden devices.

Unfortunately the display refresh rate is driver specific. You could try the settings that are accessible in Safe Mode with regedit:

Display Resolution - Change

1. Start/Run/Regedit and Navigate to:
HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\VIDEO\{3A2C2EBE-ECDB-4A7B-99EC-
58117AFDC5E2}\0000\Mon22446688

2. Find 'DefaultSettings.XResolution'. That is your y axis. Edit as a Decimal to what you want it to be. IE 1152.
3. Find 'DefaultSettings.YResolution'. That is your x axis. Edit as a decimal to what you want it to be. IE 863.
4. Reboot.

Or...

Start/Run/Regedit: HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\Display\Settings. In the right pane, right click Resolution, modify, 800,600.

Has this worked for you...if so what part worked?

Yes.

. Showing all hidden devices and uninstalling all monitors does help. Most modern monitors will work well enough under Default settings, and most include enough PnP to be recognized in a decent fashion.

. Uninstalling the rogue/errant monitor driver will default the resolution settings.

. Many monitors respond with an appropriate refresh setting if the horizontal and vertical size being demanded by Windows is not excessive. You can adjust the properties in Normal mode.

Thanks all for your help guys. I've installed a new and different make of monitor, which has got the workstation working again. When I can get time I'll take back the old monitor and have a go at reinstalling using the info above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back