Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monitor not going into Standby mode with XP/new Dell

Status
Not open for further replies.

chambemd

MIS
May 20, 2002
US
Hi,

Just got a new Dell Dimension Computer with a NVidia GeForce4 MX 420 video card. I'm using my older Nokia 447xi monitor that I had from my old IBM Aptiva. With my old computer (running Win 98) the monitor had no trouble switching over to Standby mode after the time specified in my power settings. However, with this new computer (running XP), the power save mode isn't happening. The monitor does go blank after the specified time, but it doesn't actually switch over to Standby mode (ie, the light on the front doesn't change from green to orange, and the picture refreshes instantly when I wake it up). Was there a change in how XP handles power management stuff or is there something wrong somewhere I can fix to get my monitor to go into standby mode?

Thanks!

There's a power requirement the motherboard/power supply have to meet (certain amount of voltage on standby) to make it happen...probably just doesn't on your new system.
Hasn't anything to do with XP.

Interesting...I would have thought a new off-the-shelf computer would have had that built in (guess I took it for granted on the old one!), but I guess not. Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back