Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monitor killed my mobo???

Status
Not open for further replies.

B2k2

Technical User
Oct 16, 2002
GB
Hi,

I recently acquired and old 20" monitor from work (Philips Brilliance 2010(4CM2799)) which had a broken RGB cable. I bought a new 5x BNC to 15pin cable from my local Maplins, the shop assitant assured me that this cable would be ok even though it did not have an earth strap like the old one had. When I got the cable home I connected it to its corresponding connection on the back of the monitor and then into my Geforce4 ti4400. Switched my PC on, the hard drive spun up and then nothing! The light HD came on then went out after about 30 seconds. I then unplugged the philips monitor and plugged my iiyama back in, switched my pc back on and the same happened.

So I took all the normal steps of unplugging everything and putting it all back together. Still the same happens - nothing!!!

Could this beast of a monitor have killed my graphics card and motherboard (Asus A7N8X DELUXE) with the flick of a switch? Please help?? Any suggestion gratefully recieved...

It may have blown your power supply. Do you hear the fan? You may only have to buy a PS or case...if you're lucky. If now you're screwed. I don't know what u r thinking hooking an old peice of sh_t to a glamour board like that! Any way good luck.

The PSU seems fine, the fan is running and is definatly giving out power as my pc sort of half boots.

The monitor is actually pretty good for an oldie, I just didn't think it would cause all these problems!!

Any other suggestions???

It would seem (to me at least) extremely unlikely that plugging a video cable into your machine could cause any damage.

Coincidence is most likely all it is, I would treat this as any other problem and try swapping out/bareboning the system till the component was found.

I would tend to agree with Grenage. The monitor cable should only feed on an output signal. Unless a surge reached the monitor and traveled down the line to the video card, it is highly unlikely that the monitor was the cause.

If the monitor still works (try it on another PC if you dare!), then chances are that a surge was not the cause either.

~cdogg
[tab]"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
[tab][tab]- A. Einstein

The monitor seems to work fine on another system so it has got to be something else! I have managed to get the mobo to boot once into windows but now it wont.

1) What error messages, if any, are you seeing when it doesn't boot to Windows?

2) It's starting to sound like the power supply or its connection to the mobo.

~cdogg
[tab]"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
[tab][tab]- A. Einstein

You might also try swapping out the graphics board and see if you can then boot the system.

I think there is a short in the monitor, possibly caused by dust shorting it out, or the power supply just couldnt handle the extra power and gave out. The fact that the fan spins and the hard drive spins means nothing. Open up the power supply and see if you see any wires fried or anything else that looks fried. If not then you should have the power supply tested. You can do the same by hooking another power supply to your existing system and see if it boots, that would tell you its a power supply problem, which is my bet, brought on by the new old monitor. I would almost bet money on it!

My vote is that when he plugged in the new monitor, he wiggled loose the video card and it's not properly seated on the mobo.

I kinda contradicted myself above as i made a mistake in what i was trying to say, so let me say it again.
You could have had a prob when you first turned your computer on with the new monitor, some kind of short maybe caused by dust or dirt in the monitor. This could in turn cause a prob inside your power supply, so it becomes a chain reaction. So look inside your power supply as just because the fan spins and the hard drive spins up doesnt mean there is no prob, only means there is no prob on part of the power supply! Also, if you can, try another power supply on this unit and see if it works! That may tell you where the problem lies. If the power supply works and the system boots problem solved. If not, look to there being a problem with the monitor. At that point I bow out, my knowledge with monitors is zero.
Course all this stuff only applies once you have checked all your connectors and cards and such and made sure all are seated and connected well as fellow above me rightly suggested!

And of course that is based on the assumption that the monitor is getting it's power through the Computers Power Supply.

Either way, the PSU is a pretty good candidate for the cause of the problem. That or a loose car/connection.

************* UPDATE ***************

Well I have taken in all your advise to no avail unfortunatly! So I contacted Evesham Technology who I bought the mobo from and they RMA'd it for me. I recieved the new board a couple of days ago and was still having the same problem. So I asked a friend if I could test her AMD in my pc and it booted fine. I came to the conclusion that my proccie was dead and needed to buy a new one.

But i thought I would just try out one last thing before launching it out the window, I swaped my Volcano 7+ heatsink back to a standard Alu and my PC booted!!! I can't belive that after all this time the HSF that I've been using for over year has caused the problem all this time!

Oh well at least I got a newer version of my mobo out of it! Thank you all for your help and suggestions :eek:)

So the monitor killed your heatsink?

Somehow there were some steps not given us in the problem statement of this thread.

Pretty hard to "kill" a heatsink! I think you meant it killed the fan, and then, yes, that should have been pointed out right at the beginning! Specially with the cpu being an AMD as most or all Intel cpu's will shut down before damaging the cpu but most AMD will not.
I imagine, had you mentioned the fan for the cpu was dead then all of the info given back to you would have been different.
Glad you found the problem, though, I am not trying to berate you by any means, just pointing out that we should have known about the fan, course its possible you didnt realize the fan was not working?

Ahhh, been there before. An old monitor, dust inside, high voltage does funny stuff when it's free to roam about!

No, no, no, you've got all wrong! There was nothing wrong with the fan on the heatsink, that was working fine and always has done. If the fan had gone then I would have replaced it, i'm not a n00b! I just changed one working copper HSF with a standard alu one and it now my pc boots and runs fine once again, explain that!! :)

well, there would be some explanation but we were not there where you are. Maybe the hs/fan was not tight enough and maybe it got moved somehow, some simple explanation similar to that would then be the answer.
If the hs/fan has a speed control and the speed control was set too low then that could cause the prob, many different siutations and answers but always a simple explanation for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back