Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monitor/ Graphics adjustment in Redhat 7.0 ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahc142a

Technical User
Aug 4, 2001
GB
I've just created a dual boot system which boots up in Windows as default. But when if i choose to boot into linux, for some reason Linux allows me about one inch less horizontal viewing than my monitor allows.

In other words i've got a black band all down the right hand side of my screen.

WHY ?
and how can i adjust my settings for my monitor ?

This has alot to do (probally) with the Horizontal frequency... Windows interprets it one way, Linux the other...

Most modern monitors have a "recall" feature that you can set up so that when you swtich btwn Linux & Windoze it will "remember" the settings (horizontal size, etc) it had last time...

Give that a try :)

---
John Hoke
If you found this post helpfull, please click below and let us know!

Unfortunately, i do not have a modern monitor with a recall feature,(CTX 1451) which was detected by linux on installation. This is why it's confusing.

Is there no way of changing the monitor settings from within linux ?

Hi,

Assuming you mean under X (gui) then you can tweak away to your heart's content. You just need to know a few technical parameters for your monitor and then change the /etc/X11/XF86Config or /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 (for version 4.0.1 and above).

See -->
Or you could try running 'Xconfigurator' and/or 'xvidtune' first.

You need to bit a bit cautious as its far from impossible to wreck your monitor with the wrong settings !

Hope this helps

Yipee !!!! got it working right atlast !

I ran 'Xconfigurator' and ran various combinations of modes (e.g. 8bit at 1024*480 etc. etc.) whilst sticking with the same monitor.

But none of these worked !!

So i decided to choose a 'Custom' configuration by picking the standard options and standard frequency etc. e.g 50/70Hz.

It worked !!!!!!

Thankyou.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back