Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monitor goes blank when drivers used

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiefl

Technical User
May 19, 2002
US
I have a 17 inch Compaq V75 monitor that works fine during boot up but as soon as the desktop should be appearing the screen collapses to a vertical line and then goes black. I cannot get the built in setup to run once the collapse occurs. It works fine in safe mode so I am thinking something is going haywire once drivers get loaded.

I connected another monitor and it works fine. I connected the problem child to another computer with the same result.

Any ideas would be appreciated, including dropping the thing from the roof and getting another.
Chief L

In Safe mode, right click on 'My Computer', click Properties, click Device Manager, click the + next to Monitors, double click on your monitor, click the Driver tab, click 'Update Driver, click Next/Display a list.../Next/Show all hardware, highlight Compaq under Manufacturers, highlight 'Compaq V75 Color Monitor' under Models, click Next, and follow the instructions.

If that does not fix things, then repeat the above, but highlight 'Standard Monitor Types' under Manufacturers, and highlight 'Standard VGA 640x480 under Models.
If this works, then your monitor cannot display resolutions higher than 640x480.
You can either live with it as is, or replace it.

Thank you.

I tried as suggested and get the same result, collapses to a vertical line and then a black screen. Sound like a trip to the roof?

Chief L

The monitor has passed its retire by date. Put it out to pension.

Regards: tf1

My worst fears realized! I shall be looking for a new one tomorrow. Thanks for the help.
Chief L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back