Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monitor E-mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

doubleJ

Technical User
Sep 20, 2000
US
Using Microsoft Exchange NT 4.0 How can you monitor an employees e-mail? [sig][/sig]

It is very simple to do a blind carbon copy on all
out bound e-mail.

Go to the properties page for that users mailbox. Choose the tab called "Delivery Options" At the very bottom of the page is a box called "Alternate Recipient" Choose the box entitled "other" and select the mailbox you wish to receive the copied mail into. It is very simple to set up. Once you look at it you will know what I am talking about.

FYI this only applies to inbound mail

Good luck [sig]<p>-Danny<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br> [/sig]

what about the confidentiality of an users email?
what i want is to monitor the amount of incoming and outgoing email of a specific user...not reading his/her email [sig][/sig]

The point is not read the users mail. I use to give others the right to send mail on behalf other. Such as when users goes on vacations, Sales inquires do not go unanswered.

I am currently looking and a third party product 'Exchange Archive Solution'
It allows you to set up many different kinds of rules that pertain to Archiving MS Exchange mail. inbound/outbound

Maybe that does not help, I don't know ?

Good luck
[sig]<p>-Danny<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br> [/sig]

I understood the sept 20th post about alternate recipient, we use it for our human resource mailbox.

But, how would I do a blind carbon copy on all out bound e-mail? I don't know that I really want to, but just curious about how I would do that from Exchange server?

Thanks,
[sig][/sig]

Jakess,

Using the Back Office Resource Kit (BORK), you can install Crystal Reports for Exchange. It will let you examine the event logs for your SMTP server.

I have a report that runs nightly (we're using Seagate Info) to tell me how much mail each user sends daily. [sig]<p> Mike Hillwig<br><a href=mailto:mike@hypermike.com>mike@hypermike.com</a><br><a href= done more R5 deployments than I care to think about.[/sig]

I don't understand why you just can't go to Tools>services>Microsoft Exchange Server>Properties>Advanced>open these additional mailboxes>add. This will show you everything the employee is doing. If this is not sufficient, then you need something called JOURNALING. If you don't know what that is, I can find out for you. Click

The IMC Extension will journal a users incoming/outgoing email. Unless you want to monitor internal mail as well... No Pain No Gain

Imagine opening an additional 150 mailboxes in your Outlook.
Maybe someone can tell us something about journaling

Hi jakess (TechnicalUser)
as pertaining to your post on Sep 21, 2000, I thought you wanted to generate a report on amount of emails for internal/external mail usage?

imsext.dll is more useful for companies adding disclaimer message.

If you just want to see how many emails are traveling in and out(via internet)you can use SMTP logging and open the log in excel. Then you can sort by sender, or whatever you want. Just select minimal and it will give you a count and some other info.
Copying emails to view them would require journaling or a 3rd party software. Journaling takes LOTS of space though, so watch the size of the mailbox and server you use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back