Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monitor downloaded FIle names and source site

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbylart

Technical User
Dec 15, 2002
AU
Hi there,

I've been searching for this utility for a while now and hope someone might have some ideas.

Files are being downloaded to my PC that I havn't requested for. I have broadband and I find that the "Data Received" figure has increased substantially between sessions. I can find and have tested a number for data analysing programs but none seems to capture the file name of the downloaded file and the site it come from. Just the amount of data.

It could be a legitimate app on my PC which is requesting the data but I need to find out which one(or it could be spyware).

Is there any utility out there that can record all files being downloaded and the source web site?

Thanks
Ray

Often this is just reporting traffic when uPnP is enabled and is harmless.

There is also a common issue where the network adapter driver just plain reports to Windows the wrong traffic statistics. See:
If yu do not now have a firewall, install one. Any traffic of an unusual nature will trigger a firewall report to you. Many like the freeware Zone Alarm:
It would be worthwhile to check that you have not inadvertantly installed any bad guys: faq608-4650

Thanks for your reply.

I already have Zonealarm but I have a feeling that its either the browser itself (IE) or a valid program that is accessing the internet by itself (It's not my antivirus - by the way). It can be very intermitant at times so it's hard to isolate.

I just need a utility that logs ALL files (temporary or otherwise) that are being downloaded to my hard disk. I can then analyse it to find out exactly the types of files and sizes over a given time frame.

Anybody know of such a utility.

Thanks
Ray

Thanks,

I'll give this utility a go. It does seem to monitor internet activity which is what I'm after.

Thanks for the tip.

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back