Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monitor Disk I/O using SNMP

Status
Not open for further replies.

warmongr

MIS
Mar 17, 1999
US
I am looking to monitor disk I/O of my fiber channel attached drives using SNMP. Has anyone here done this before and if so how. I am more interested in disk performance than I am disk space.

Your fiber channel device would need an SNMP agent. Contact the vendor.

BocaBurger
<===========================||////////////////|0
The pen is mightier than the sword, but the sword hurts more!

I guess being new to SNMP this is where the confusion lies. I have the FIBRE-CHANNEL-FE-MIB and have added the mib according to the instructions on the net-snmp web site however I am not getting what I expected. I have read the FAQ and REAME's and surfed the web most of the day trying to get a handle on it but not working at this point. Should I be able to use net-snmp with this MIB without compiling my own agent? Is net-snmp the agent?

Thanks for the response. Need more data.

... Does not compute

You need a SNMP program to work with the .mib. Tivoli, etc.

BocaBurger

Thanks Bocca,

What started all of this off as using rrdtool and cacti to monitor system performance using SNMP. Is there a to use net-snmp to monitor this MIB?

N

Not sure. I have only used Tivoli. I did find a good program for the W operating system that was free, but I don't have the hardware or the program any more.

BocaBurger

what is the best filesystem 'type' to use if I plan to use a filesystem with quotas enabled???

Rejohn,

I would suggest that you post this question as new thread to get everyones attention as this is a thread related to snmp and fiber channel performance. Given that, I have used both ext3 very well and reiserfs with the 2.6 kernel. You can enable quota support for 2.4 kernels with a patch.
N

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back