Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monitor Cisco 2621 router

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesch

MIS
Nov 1, 2002
US
I need to monitor our Cisco 2621 router, which has a csu/dsu T-1. Monitor the data, and Internet, what is coming in and out and by what computer. Our Cisco rep, had sold my boss the "Cisco Works for Windows" not "Works2000". I have not had a chance to review this software package, to see if this will do any good. My boss said the Cisco rep. told him this would do it!!! I work at a state agency and budget has been cut, I need a no cost solution. Can this be done? Or is Works for Windows good enough. Any help would be great.

What exactly do you want to monitor? Utilization? Do you want to be able to see the actual data that goes across this T1?

I would like a package that get monitor bandwidth per source IP address remotely.
And then be able to focus in on source and destination IP address.

Any idea ?
Anyone ?

Cheers.

I would like to see actual computers, that access the internet and any type of data. The guy who setup the Router just opened the external web for everyone, we are currently in the works to setup MS ISA 2000 sever, but just needed to see if the router had something we could use. I basicly would like to see when, where, who is going to the out side world, and what time.

You will need a probe or packet sniffer to break out individual traffic flows based on source IP address. Cisco Works for windows is only general high level stats. You will need an inline serial capture capability which is expensive. You would be best served by capturing this traffic off of an ethernet segment if possible. Many sniffer (packet/frame capture) packages are available, my favorite is Network associates sniffer pro. Netscoute and cisco have probes and software for your specific application, which is better suited for long term continues monitoring at a user level. CWSI2000 with the right add ons can do some QOS accounting/billing functions that may or may not be useful.
It sounds like a probe is best suited for your needs.

Brilliant. Thanks for the advice.
I have been trying to find anything that will let me remotely monitor an IP address. I found about 30 that can do my PC's ethernet adapter, but I would like to monitor my routers from home. MRTG is running fine, but doesn't give enough detail.

I've tried a search to find some demos of those products you suggested ( "try before you buy and all that" ), but to no avail.

Any ideas on a freebe ( or opensource ) for testing ?

Cheers

If you just want to monitor traffic utilisation and not breakdown to source/destination/protocol types etc then Multi Router Traffic Grapher (mrtg) will do the job.

if you want to monitor all traffic on the device + the network I suggest you have a look at Network Observer from Network Instruments. That is a protocol analyzer with a lot of options, top talkers, web observer, internet observer, trending, packet capture, rmon probe, frel probes, snmp, etc. Modestly priced, accurate, works on legacy machines (like Pentrium 3 :)).
best
-Bert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back