Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monitor black when Installing New VGA HIS R9250 PCI Video Card 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

concort

Technical User
Dec 7, 2006
US
I just installed a Radeon 9250 128MB 64-bit DDR PCI Video Card in my 4 year old Dell 2400. Everything seemed to work fine at first...The card installed fine and then when I booted the machine back up everything on screen was large....So then I proceeded to install the software that came with the hardware. Installation went well. But after I restarted the monitor is just black (with a couple of color tiny squares at the top of the screen)...???... Any ideas? What can I try. The Dell does have an original Integrated video card on it so I was wondering if that had something to do with this? Some said that the machine may or may not just recognize this new video card and others said that I may have to do something to get the new card functioning....But the card DID work right away (I think) since everything was large and distorted when I initially booted up after installing the card..??... Can you help?

Thanks!

I forgot to mention that this is installed in Windows XP with 768MB RAM....In case that makes a difference.

Thanks!

I've never done that. Please understand that I am a very novice user. I can more then likely do it with a little guidance. Could you oblige? How complicated is that...And how can I do that when nothing comes up on screen?

Thanks so much for your help!

no worrys

lets try first
power up pc
press delete (del) until u come to bios setup
look for onboard/pheripal device setup
disable onboard video
reboot

if u dont come 2 bios setup, unmount the new video card, follow the steps above, but bevor u reboot mount the new video card again

Thanks so much Lemon13.....Now I was told that this part of going into bios COULD really mess things up if I do something wrong. Is there a threat of messing things up big time here? When I hold the delete key down while booting up will it just bring up code on a black screen? If so, HOW do I disable the onboard video through code? I am a visual guy...If there's not a box to click to "disable" or "enable" something it's a bit more of a task for me....Sorry.....

I did not try anything yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back