Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monitor and control memory usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

timbeullens

IS-IT--Management
May 2, 2007
BE
I have a question regarding IIS memory usage.
We want to implement our new platform, that we are currently developing , to a windows 2003 web edition server.
My colleague thinks that the supported 2Gb ram will be insufficient when indexing runs. (will run every week)
At the moment the test version runs on a windows 2003 64bit system with 2Gb ram On the same system runs the SQL-server and a TOMCAT server. Both these servers will be placed on 2 separated servers in the end, so a total of 3 servers will be used.
My opinion says that there may be no problem with the 2 GB ram on the webserver since it runs all on 2GB ram now with the additional SQL and TOMCAT.
But to be sure, I would like to monitor and log the memory usage when indexing runs (at night)
Monitoring is no problem: tools enough! But I don’t want to spend my night in front of a screen for 7 hours just to look at a memory-meter.
Better solution would be if a tool can monitor and report afterwards which amount of memory was used in a time base.
Anyone that can give a tip or idea?
Another question is; you can control memory usage for IIS6.0. How can I best manage the memory allocation in windows server 2003 (web edition)?
Anny tips, remarks, idea’s, thoughts , opinions,… are very welcome!
Thanks!

You can setup the Windows System Monitor to monitor all related IIS counters and have them stored in a log file.

As for memory management for IIS, I would refer to the IIS6 Resource kit (downloadable from MS) which could provide the info you need.

You can also download and use the Debug Diagnostics tool which can be used to troubleshoot issues related to the Application Pool in IIS

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back