Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monday's Redsky outage

Status
Not open for further replies.

phoneguy55

Programmer
May 25, 2005
US
Question for those that use Redsky or any E911 provider to route 911 calls in the US and Canada. On Monday from 1:26 to 5:12pm if you're connected to Redsky via PSTN (non SIP integration) you would have gotten dead air followed by a fast busy for any 911 call. So the question is whats your plan B during a Redsky outage?

phoneguy55,

I am glad you raised this question as we were in the same situation Monday given the 3.5 hour outage that created serious safety and liability issues for its customers forcing us to use mobile phones for E911 during the outage period.

If we moved our 911 traffic away from Redsky and routed directly to our carrier AT&T all the PSAP would be provided is our office addresses with no dispatchable location information.

Redsky needs to provide us backup plan given they have no control over the provider network.

We did the same. In my case I only have 2 SBC egress points in my data centers for hundreds of offices. While this got someone to answer the call, it would have likely been the wrong PSAP. I'm not sure what's worse, ring no answer or sending the call to the wrong PSAP? I'm now on the hook to find something to be the Redsky backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back