Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monarch 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBuckley2000

Vendor
Oct 27, 2000
US
Help me please!

I am trying to use a program called Monarch to extract data to put into an Access database and I have no idea where to start. Could anyone direct me to a help site?

Thanks for your time.

Jason JSF

Jason Facey
jfacey@lithonia.com

Hi JBuckley2000

Having no idea what Monarch is, makes it very difficult to help you.

But:

I presume that it is a store of information of some kind - so you should be able to contact the software vendor and ask what type of access you have to the data.

Most programs have some type of export facilities and Access itself has some import facilities (eg you can make ODBC connections - so if the vendor tell you that you have access via ODBC you are away!)

Give a little more info and someone might be able to help more.

Stew "Make good use of bad rubbish."

Hello,

Well the problem I was having was defining fields and then exporting them into Access. If you help me with this, I would be good to go. I know how to use the alpha and numeric functions to set up the model also. Hope this is enough info.

Thanks, JSF

Jason Facey
jfacey@lithonia.com

export your data as a dbf file and then import it into access. It is really as simple as that. I have been using monarch for almost two years now. I know just about all the ins and outs of that program

Monarch is a great tool for extracting data from archaic system style reports (my comment, not Monarch's). When in Monarch, you will need to create a model that will just pull the data that you want out of the report. Once you have this, change to table view, and then export the table. It will create a fixed width file that you can easily import into Access, Oracle, etc...

I haven't created any of these "models", but I have used them afterwards. Check your documentation for help on creating them. Terry M. Hoey

Buckley,
I'm assuming you've never used Monarch so I'll step you through it.
What you'll need to do is start Monarch, open the .txt file from within monarch(you should see it pop up on your screen), and then use templates to define what fields you want to extract from the file. If you aren't familiar with using templates in Monarch just use Monarch's help file and it will step you through using these. I taught myself how to do it just a few weeks ago to import into Access. Once you've created your templates, (and Traps), you'll have created a model that you can save and use everytime you open the .txt file. Save the Monarch file as well(you'll need it for Access). Now in Access, go to File, Get External Data, Import. Choose the original .txt file to import. Then go through the steps of pulling in the correct data and save the spec. In your VB code you'll have to open a monarch app and give it the location of your saved monarch file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back