Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Momentary freeze for any application in Windows 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

siridhar

Technical User
Oct 20, 2002
IN

Hello all

My computer "freezes" every 2 minutes for a period of about 6 seconds. If the mouse is moved, it gets stuck at wherever it is during that period and if a song is being played, the sound is stuck. In short, whatever application(s) is/are running at that time, it/they gets/get "stuck", that is characterized by lack and/or absence of user control and erratic sound(s) if sound is being output in the listening device(s).

It would be appreciated if someone could point out the remedy for this. Thanks!

siridhar

Do you have AV utility running in systray?
McAfee is known to cause this behaviour..

Next time it happens bring up task manager and see if (Stimon not responding) or Winmmgt is running.

These are longshots based on your post. If they do not help please post OS and browser info for members benefit if they are to help.

Merry Christmas

smitee

I had similar problems to yours. To fix my difficulties, I clicked on start->run then typed in msconfig. Then click on the startup tab, and uncheck any useless programs. (i had too many programs running on start up in taskbar, thats what caused my problems)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back