Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MOH unit 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 3, 2005
US
Anyone suggest a good MOH unit they have used that does not cost an arm and a leg. I don;t like to use the radio.

I saw some "Magic on Hold" units on eBay for sale. These are the older model that have a tape in them.

Dave,
The Phone Doctor
Las Vegas, NV USA

"You're Never Alone When You're Near A Phone!"

...Lily Tomlin
a/k/a "Ernestine

Davethephonedoctor,

Our company uses On-hold Plus 6000's. They are not to expensive and you can down load whatever to them. You can play MP3's and WMA files and it has some built in music with them. They are under 200.00.

on hold plus here too one nice thing is the message studio software that allows one to create a custom message

The best one I have found is the Nel-Tech Labs model "The Messager MP3" Digital Messaging System. Simple to setup and it always comes back on right away after a power interruption. You get a free professional produced ON Hold Message about the business that bought it and the music that you can intermix are MP3 files. I download free 30 second music clips from the web and intermix them with the vocal message. It is so simple that most customers change the music to match the seasom themselves.

Thanks all. What are you buying them for and what are you charging your customers for the equipt. and install?

Dave,
The Phone Doctor
Las Vegas, NV USA

...Lily Tomlin
a/k/a "Ernestine

you will have to source them yourself but I pay less then 150 for the ohp unit I do my normal markup plus a service call to install or just a markup with no charge install on a new installation

or markup with no install charge for good customer with the understanding we will install next time we have a service call for something else

I-tunes on a PC, sound card output to MOH input. That is cheap, lol. Charge for the service call and the audio cord.

You do not always get what you pay for, but you never get what you do not pay for.

Yes, but you are churning that hard drive day and night.

Dave,
The Phone Doctor
Las Vegas, NV USA

...Lily Tomlin
a/k/a "Ernestine

That is an issue if you use a PC that is being used for something else. If you are using a PC that was replaced because it is too slow, and too old, like many IT depts have a room full of, it is not so much an issue.

You do not always get what you pay for, but you never get what you do not pay for.

you could run into royality issues with Itunes as you havent bought a licensee to rebrodcast .just music , not hold message old pc /hardrive will crash at some point need reboot after power failure , large footprint in cramped equipment room etc.

not a very porfessinal solution to offer your customer

Sonorous makes a great MOH unit. We also recommend the MOH system by Intellitouch. Both use flash memory and load from CD.

There are plenty of studios that can record the message for you.

I believe you can also use music from the site below to compose the music too (we generally do the messages for customers and a studio south of us does the music).

Correction to the above post (regarding Freeplay)

Freeplay's Music on Hold licensing is as follows

Per Project *(per client)
One song title = $25.00 USD

10 Song titles = $125.00 USD

20 Songs for $250.00 USD

50 Songs for $500.00 USD

100 songs for $1,000.00 USD

Sorry about that...

Also the intellitouch comes with music pre-recorded...

I-tunes

This was a solution a customer came up with. I advised him of copyright issues to CYA. It is not something of great practical concern as you are more likley to get busted for removing the tag from your mattress than for using an uncopyright authorized hold music source. We have all heard hundreds of radio station moh in our lives, I asm sure, and never seen anyone get busted for it.

when you rebrodcast without paying then you are getting what "you do not pay for "[wink]

That may be true, but I advised the customer of the legal situation, and did not connect it myself. I am not broadcasting it, he is, and did advise of the liability involved. I also, did not come up with, or implement the idea. If he chooses to take that liability, I am not the MOH police.

If the broadcast is from I tunes sending out music for which copyright has expired, it is not a copyright violation.

How about using an MP3 player. The only issue I can see is it turning itself back on when the power goes off and on.

Dave,
The Phone Doctor
Las Vegas, NV USA

...Lily Tomlin
a/k/a "Ernestine

radio , cd , mp3 player will all work , radio drifts of staion and needs to be monitored also no controll over content .

I had a conservitive state senator's office who used radio tuned to the local PBS staion for classical music. one sat when he was in he put someone on hold and the station was playing a gay and lesbian show ...they called me monday furios untill I reminded them that the radio and staion selection was theirs (we put in a digital player that week )

cd/mp3 players arent made to run 24/7 for long periods and need monitoring digital players are the proffesinal choice

Yes, however what about when the power goes out. A CD player or MP3 player have touch buttons to restart. I thought about gluing the PLAY button on the cheap CD player I was using. That would have worked but when the player gets to the end of the list it has to repeat. So I held down hte PLAY and REPEAT, unplugged and plugged the power back in and the player did start right up but the REPEAT would not activate.

Any suggestions?

Dave,
The Phone Doctor
Las Vegas, NV USA

...Lily Tomlin
a/k/a "Ernestine

any suggestions ?
just one buy a digital message on hold unit designed for the task .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back