Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MOH the cheap way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

njadmin

Technical User
Sep 5, 2006
US
Hi All,
I have a G3si and I was wondering if there is an easy diy moh coupler you can make. I did hackup something but so fat is hasn't worked. I check the system-par and turned the moh on, set the COR and the stations. The port I have setup is on a TN746, I have tried using my computer, a radio, an amp driven feed and I get nothing every time. Do I really need to buy a 909 coupler?

Thanks

Jason

We have done it in the past with couple of options:-
- Use analog phone in parallel (to provide some impedence in between). Phone should be off hook.
- Use a 1K resistance in parellel to the MOH device ( used Computer, music player etc..)

Both these worked for us for long & still working..

Do I really need the 1k or can I get away without it? I only have resistors over 10k right now. The circuit I build was with a tranformer from a modem and a few caps and resistors but that doesn't seem to work.
I can hear the tone from my tone generator while on hold so I know I'm not that far away now.

OK I tried it in parallel but couldn't hear anything, but I did notice the "static and pop" while I was unplugging the feed. Should I try to run an amp with the parallel connection?

what i've done before using the tip/ring off an analog pair and a spliced mini headphone adapter off a radio and taped it together and it worked. Don't know if polarity matters.

Does it matter how far the run is? I trying this in my office which is about a 600' run to the switch.

You can use a normal CD player etc. but must isolate the 48VDC of the analog from coming in contact with the cd player. What I used were two .1 uf Capacitors in line ( one in each leg of the analog pair) between the Avaya and the music source.
You can also buy a moh box from Avaya

Ok I must have something wrong here. I've tried EVERYTHING and the only sound I can get on hold is my tone generator. I build a phone - audio interface circuit, I've gone straight to the port with audio from a small radio, I've run the radio in parallel with a phone, I use a 70Watt amp to boost the signal and I still get nothing. Am I possibly missing something?
The card I have is TN746B I also have a TN793B and TN742. Might one of those work better? Is there a feature I need admin access to activate? My system is G3 V12 (software R012i.01.1.414.1)

If by cheap you mean free, time consuming and possible future of people calling you "sparky"!!! Continue on your qwest! If you get it figured out, let us know this is interesting how you are being so creative with the solutions.

I like this solution so much I wrote an FAQ $250 out the door, quick install, easy/no maintenance. It's an MP3 player & adaptor & analog port - punch it down, drag and drop .wav files from your PC, splice some wires & plug it in & bobs your uncle.

Music on Hold/Avaya Magic On hold Install & 2nd Music Source faq690-6472

- good luck with your project!

OK I got it working FOR FREE!!!!!!!! (well almost)

I just used an old 2500 set and punched the outside pair of the handset cord to the audio, plugged the phone into the port and WAMO!!! it works and sounds great!!

Thanks for the help!!!!!

An easy way to do this would be to buy this plug. $4 for 2.

Solder it to a piece of Cat 5 cable and punch that down on an aux or analog port. From what I understand about the 909B. It is only necessary when using a non UL list MOH device. Any device in the USA should be UL listed, so the 909B is not neccessary if you are in USA.

phoneguy55 - I tried running the audio right into the port but it didn't seem to work. I'm going to pick up a solder on 3.5mm jack and make a cable that will work just right and look nice to boot.

As long as the MOH device has a built in amplifier, it should work. I use the intelli touch 6000 with the cables that I make and it works great.

(If I should start a new thread, I apologize in advance on this)
what are the actual wire connections with this MOH config w/a Universal Coupler? Here's what I've got:

Universal Coupler 909B
(settings below per the manual)
J1: (this is the music supply out to the Switch?) jumpers 1+2 both open
J2: (this is the music supply in from the source?) jumpers 1+2 both open (50k Ohm option), jumper 3 closed, jumpers 4+5+6 open
J3: power (came w/ AC plug)

This setup needs to plug into a G350 LSP on a spare MM711 analog media module port to supply local hold music onsite. We do have tenant partitioning enabled and I have configured a second music source and defined a spare analog port on the G350 at the remote location - that part is all set. My issue is w/ physical wiring - not sure which wires to connect to what...

I have an audio cable w/ a standard 3.5mm stereo headphone jack on one end and two rca plugs at the other (1 white, 1 red). I cut off both W/R heads and now have 2 wires for each - on the white head wire I have: 1 bare copper and 1 white insulated, on the red head wire I have: 1 bare copper and 1 read insulated.

Per the 909B UC instructions, I am to use the CAT5 white orange/orange pairs to go IN to the UC on J2 (from the music source), and then should wire the white blue/blue pairs to go OUT of the UC on J1 (to the switch)...

Anyone know how I can connect my RCA cable and to which wires on J2? I assume the white orange/orange pair? Then on J1, I am to punchdown or terminate the white blue/blue pair in an analog port on the G350?

Thanks all - sorry for the long explanation...

My Office use this circuits for almost 4 years.
This circuit will help you with nice and clear sound for queue music without multipartition/tenant.
With additional soundcard plug in to PC and Winamp software, enable multi-instance setting in winamp’s preference (see winamp help for detail); each sound goes to one circuit. Adjust volume in each winamp program for correct volume.

IN >----C----C--+-- OUT
|
R
|
IN >----C----C--+-- OUT

R=820ohm 10watt
C=6,8uf 50volt Non Polar
IN=from audio source (PC, MP3players,etc)
OUT=to analog port

To enable default music on Hold, change system-parameters features, Point to:
Music/Tone on Hold Music Port : (type empty analog port here)

To add more music on hold, create a new announcement
ANNOUNCEMENTS/AUDIO SOURCES
Ann.
No. Ext. Type COR TN Name Q QLen Pro Rate Port

1 6666 analog-m 1 1 Music on Hold #1 b N/A N/A N/A 01b0213

Good Luck!

Hi,

You could always be really flash and use your VAL board as a MoH source. If you have a split site (like we do - 6 buildings in one city) we are about to implement the announcement grouping and digital music on hold features, they all have their own local source and no single point of failure as well.

BAC42

Guys,
This might be bad - but I just tried connecting the following 3.5mm headphone plug/RCA cable to a cat5 cable and plugged it into an analog port, assigned a test extension to tenant 3 / music source 3 and it worked... I was able to hear music on my test extension from my computer. I need this to supply music to a G350 at a remote site most likely from a stand alone mp3 player...

Computer->3.5mm plug----RCA(white)-->+ lead to CAT5 white / blue wire
-->- lead to CAT5 blue wire

Am I potentially damaging anything by doing this?

jagoan - I have tenant partitioning enabled. I just need to get music from a single source to an analog port... I'm not great with electronics - can you tell me what I'd need for caps and resistors?

(blue wire)mp3 player-->6uf 50v-->8uf 50v-->analog port?
(white/blue wire) mp3 player-->analog port?

Sorry for late reply Lamintdog.
You can't direct point from music source to analog port. Very dangerous, if you got spike, than it will burn you analog card. You need resistor and capacitor to do it.

For capacitor, sorry for miss type, in my country I use comma for decimal separator, so 6,8uf means 6.8uf.

For INput, you can use 3.5mm headphone plug, then use your CAT5 wire or RCA, connect it to IN.

For OUTput, just connect it to analog port, and yes you can use white(blue) and blue for CAT5, it's stand for PIN 4 and 5 at your patch panel or RJ45 jack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back