Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MOH over speaker phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midstream

Programmer
Jan 15, 2004
US
Classify this one as "out-of-the box" thinking. I'm being tasked to investigate streaming MOH out of my digital handsets. I really have little faith, just doing a sanity check.

Am I nuts in saying "No, you're nuts!", or is there some slim hope?

the phone would have to be 'off-hook' for it to stream MoH. so in other words, it's not possible.
may i suggest a modern Hoot-n-Holler system... IP Multicast.

or maybe something strange could be done with a 'group-page'.

better yet, just tell them they need to invest $4000+ for an over-head speaker & paging system.

They're trying this avenue to get out of spending money on overhead paging. I've never seen it done in the 20 years I've been involved with enterprise gear, but have seen something similar on some SMB equipment. Just didn't want to squash someone's request without checking into it. My guess is it's getting passed down the line from someone who's more familiar with SMB products and thought this was possible. Avaya ATAC already shot it down too.

You can use an FAC and dial the MOH port, this will play the MOH through the phone speaker. I use this to test my MOH.

However, I still think that for an office-wide solution, the best answer is to pony up the money and get an over-head speaker system.

Susan
Muffins are just ugly cupcakes.

It's the one for Facility Test Calls.

Dial the MOH port directly, using the FAC and the port. For the carrier, 01=A, 02=B, 03=C, etc. In my case, my MOH speed dial is
*05 01 05 14 01 (*05 = FAC, 01 05 14 01 = port 01D1401).

Susan
Muffins are just ugly cupcakes.

Is this something you could do using group paging? It looks like you can have 32 members in each group with a total of 32 groups.

When is the last time you helped someone, just because you were able to?

For the best response to a question, read faq690-6594

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back