Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MOH broken, background music OK? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

UViewIT

IS-IT--Management
Feb 5, 2007
CA
Recently I was told that our MOH is no longer working, but the background music (F86) on each handset is fine. I've checked system programming and On Hold is set to "Music" and Background Music is set to "Y".

When I call in from my cell phone, or call another set internally and put the call on hold all I hear is silence... No static, no tones, and definitely no music.

What can cause the background music to be just fine but the MOH to not work?

Thanks in advance!

If recycle does not work you could try to do a startup and reprogram the system, if it's a bug then it should clear it.

Thanks guys! I'll try the power cycle early tomorrow AM, if that doesn't clear it I'll call in my vendor (I'm not comfortable with reprogramming the whole system!).

P.S. I can't run a backup because we don't have the RAD or NRU software :( (8x24 with Flash)

I would be carefull!! The old 8x24 have memory caps that tend to fail after a few years. There is a very good chance that your system will default after power down!!
You might be money and time ahead to call your vendor or live without the MOH.

Thanks Brian, I gave your idea a shot but it didn't shake anything loose unfortunately.

silver987: We've had a few power down incidents (UPS failed, power outage over a few hours) in the last 6 months and have not yet had a problem with it losing settings... I'll pass this by the management before doing the power cycle myself, at least this way they can't yell at me as much ;)

Side note for you: when you have an internal call such as from one set to another you do not get MOH at any time. MOH is only lfor the outside lines.

you might have very low volume at the music input ports and the sets are compensating for it by turnkng up the individual set volume. check it out by calling from your cell being put on hold and then clipping on a toner for a second to see if you hear it.

----------------------------
JerryReeve
Communications Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

As Jerry was saying, low volume on the music source can mimic this issue, and it's often caused by improper termination- 66 and 110 blocks are designed for solid wire termination only. If you've got a headphone cable punched on a block, you're likely to lose connection. I can't tell you how often I see this in the field. Use a screw terminal jack between the music source and the ksu.

Also, some of the cheaper 1/8 mini cables you get on a headset are really low quality. They're usually copper coated string, rather than actual wire. Spend $5, and replace it with a truly copper cable.

I recently had a 8x24 moh go out. Reset power, un-program/re-program moh, everything did not work. Customer then had to purchase a MICS.

I have an 8x24. I hear music on the Y/OR pair. I have background music set to "yes" and Oh Hold: set to "music". F86, I hear nothing. I also hear nothing on hold. Brand new cable.

"Relax. Worst case scenerio, someone doesn't have dial tone.

You should start a new thread next time.

You hear music on the cross connect that is connected to Y/O you mean.....move the cross connect to V/S on the station cable to get music on an 8X24.

Cheers

Another good test is to hook your tone generator to the 66 block to see if u have a good port. I suggest you do this during off hours cus its loud as heck in the ear of anyone on hold. Only have to make that mistake once.

I have had newer ksu's with very low moh and backround music was fine

Me too. HF speaker volume adjustable on sets. That's why I always reccommend calling in and putting yourself on hold to test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back