Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MOH (BGM?) over PA system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pst133ox

IS-IT--Management
Aug 24, 2007
US
I've searched around for this and can't quite find an answer. I'm not too sure on the specifications of our phone system as I have been thrown into the position of its administration.

I was told tales of a time when we had the ability to both "play music over the phone" and "play music over our PA speakers".

My first instinct was to check a blue box that controls our PA system where I noticed an input for audio. I traced these wires and to them connected a headphone connector I had lying around- plugged in a laptop to generate some test audio and Feature 86'd my way to music over the phone.

I can see how it could have the ability to broadcast itself over the PA. However, I do not understand how it could do this and not hog the page channel- nor do I understand how to even start playing around with this in the first place.

I have read about another system that has some sort of interrupt circuit that kills the music before a page is started.

If anyone has any thoughts about how to do this- (or if you need more information /pictures of the device) - any information would be GREAT.

Thanks in advance!

look at the info printed on the unit. it is the pinout of the unit. in there somewhere will be the word music, baackground music, or some other name indicating the input. on the side you should have one or two adjustments, they are also labeled. I couldn't find user manuals or documentation from the above link but from the pic's it sure looks like the info is there.

----------------------------
Hill?? What hill??
I didn't see any $%@#(*$ Hill!!
----------------------------
JerryReeve
Communication Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

By reading the front of the box was how I hooked up sound to it in the first place.
I can successfully get music playing over Feature 86 (plays through the phones speaker) and stop it with Feature #86. However, I see no indication of how to play it over the paging zones. It also plays when a caller is placed on hold.

The model number is: V-1109rtva

Though strangely, though there are two inputs for music- the schematic in one of the manuals I was reading appeared to say the zones are split (it has 9 zones) and the two inputs control the two separate zones. Since the audio I was hooking up was already going to the two music inputs marked on the box I was confused as I felt there would need to be 4 inputs.

Thus I remain confused.
Is there some code to initiate the "play over PA speakers sequence?

I looked at the install manual and I don't see where the music input is ? It doesn't seem to be on the on the 25pr amp cable. Is it on the side? If you don't need all nine zones, get the V-2003A (3 zone).

Yeah, it looks like valcom lost the link. I've worked with these in the field, but I don't recall which pair the music input is on the 25pr.

I think the zones out start at the top.

You could wire the music feed to each of the amplifiers directly. Most have a "music", or "BGM" screw terminal feed on them. They are designed to cut off when a page is detected.

Ah, so it's correct action is to just play music all the time over the PA? (like in a retail environment) and then interrupt the music when there is a page?

Does that mean I should be looking for more than one input on the 25pr? The one I am going into now is only playing hold music- there is no music playing over the speakers normally.

Input for phone system is on the 25 pair from it's KSU.
You need to loop it also to the Valcom Amplifier.

Music Level Set-up
The V-1109RTVA has volume controls for Music:
• Background music input control Zones 1-5
• Background music input control Zones 6-9

I dont like Valcom for some stubborn reaon so not much help however I believe there is a piece you are not sieng being the Amplifier?.....this is where the music source should be looped to.
Zone modules usualy work along side the Amplifier where the module on diretcs to certian speaks based on codes entered where the Amp provides the speech/music/power to the speakers.

Alright- Thanks everyone! I managed to get the music playing over our system and mostly adjusted the input levels alright.

However, in the process I've pushed one of the volume adjusts in (bent the pins) so it is inaccessible with the screwdriver I was using to adjust it.

The box seems to be sealed with flat rivets.

Anyone have any good way to open it? / Un bend the pins?

Drill out the rivets, or install a separate potentiometer before the amplifier connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back