Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Module Serial # w/o dismanteling...Buler?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaxxon26

IS-IT--Management
Oct 29, 2001
US
Getting the motherboard and system serial numbers are great but how do you get the serial number off of a module? Short of taking out the module of course. Can't seem to find anything that will tell me. Modules like x2922 x2931 and so on. Any one.

If you type "show tech" this will display the serial numbers of all hardware inside switches and routers. This is how Cisco TAC knows exactly what part to replace when one is defective. Only problem is you better have a capture on your telnet or console session. It's a lot of data. You'll have to scroll through it all to find it. Have fun.

I am familiar with that one. And it does show MBD a system serial numbers. But not the serial numbers off the modules. I am starting to think that it can't be done. Which is going to be a pain for my invintory project. Oh well such is life.

Sho MOdule
should do the trick.

plus the serial number is on the front of each module on the newer switches.

There is no "Sh Module" on Cat 2900. But it would be nice.
I also tries "sh me da money" but that didn't work either. I see no module or money.

Zaxxon,

Try this, go out to solarwinds.net and download one of their professional suites (at least the one with "IP Network Browser in it) Install it and open the program.

Before you can do this you need to have SNMP enabled on the 2900. Plug in the information to scan a single host and under the CARDS tab it should list all the serial numbers of the cards.....

Let me know if this works for you, it works for all my Cisco Equipment that I have, hopefully it will do the same for you.....

david e
*end users are just like computers, some you can work with...others just need a simple reBOOTing to fix their problems.*

No joy! Darn. It will show SN for cards as "0" I don't think there is a MIB for the SN on these modules. But i'll survive.

However, what a sweet program!!! I love it. I can't believe all the stuff it can do. I use HPOpen View for most stuff but it is slow. This Solar winds stuff is HOT, Fast and way robust. And i have only done the IPBrowser stuff.

Thanks for introducing the program to me. I Love it!!

I must be a pretty sad little nerd to get so excited about a program. It's not even a game!!

Thanks again

Zaxxon

I think my "current wife" would object to that.... LOL

Anyway you're welcome, I love the product as well but still have yet to purchase a full copy of it. I hid it in the budget for next year so I'll have a full copy of it. Does some pretty wonderful things. If you deal with Cisco routers take a look at the Cisco tools. I will allow you to download configuration files, edit them on your desktop then upload them back to the router. Sweet if you're dealing with a lot of routers like I do on a daily basis. Mac Address Discovery is cool as well, I can find out who locks out my admin account on my Novell server using that little tool. All in all a really good suite of programs for network administrators to "have fun with"

Sorry it didn't work for your problem though, I really thought it would :-(

david e
*end users are just like computers, some you can work with...others just need a simple reBOOTing to fix their problems.*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back